What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

USA - CA Prop 65 Labeling for military commissary sales

Started by , Jun 14 2024 04:01 PM
8 Replies

We may start selling certain scallops to the US Military for on-base commissary sales.  These are distributed to a number of bases, both domestically and overseas.

ONE of the bases is in California.  This particular type of scallop, if sold in a California grocery store, would require a Proposition 65 warning similar to:

This product can expose you to chemicals including cadmium and lead, that are known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.  For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.

Owner doesn't want to just blanket-label everything with this, because someone in Texas or Oklahoma isn't going to know or care about this, and if anything it might irrationally steer them away from the product.

I've reached out to both State of CA and to our last military auditor for advice but was wondering if anyone here had run into this.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Weight change during production - labeling rules Automatic Labeling System Customer labeling of frozen pizza Scale Labeling Machine Sales samples labelling
[Ad]

You can do signage on the shelf if you don't want to do it on the packaging.

Are you sure California law applies to armed forces bases??? That is what I'd be asking first and foremost 

3 Likes

Are you sure California law applies to armed forces bases??? That is what I'd be asking first and foremost 

I would look into this as well, I believe military bases are technically federal land not state. It could be that since the point of sale is not "in california", you aren't require to have the warning...but that could be wishful thinking.

That's... that's why I'm asking  :ejut: 

It seems, from my reading of 10 USC 147, the commissaries are entirely under the jurisdiction of DoD, but what do I know?  :hypocrite:

You could reach out to a Military Food Broker and ask.  Your company may already have one.

Reached out to our last two military auditors and the state of CA because our broker isn't 100% sure either.

You could reach out to a Military Food Broker and ask.  Your company may already have one.

My research said as long as the commissary is NOT open to the public, federal law only applies

Can you call a commissary on one of the bases you are planning to sell too?  They should have a food safety person who would know who audits them.  Or they might be able to direct you to the person who would know.  

Similar Discussion Topics
Weight change during production - labeling rules Automatic Labeling System Customer labeling of frozen pizza Scale Labeling Machine Sales samples labelling USFDA Food Labeling Date format USDA Labeling Evaluation Allergen Labeling Seafood Unrefined oil allergen labeling Prop 65, REACH, RoHS Status?