• Quick Navigation
Photo

Supplier Approval Program- Storage/Pick and Pack on behalf customers (suppliers)

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic
- - - - -

LaurenH

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 June 2024 - 07:06 PM

Hi all. I wanted to get some input regarding document requirements and supplier program requirements in general. I currently work for a warehouse that does not purchase or own any product that we store and or pick and pack. Customers (suppliers) sends us non-exposed sales and or R&D samples that their sales or marketing teams will place orders for to be sent to various people. Therefore, documents such as letters of conformity, COI, and COAs are unnecessary. Also, most of our customers/suppliers are owners of many many brands which makes the supplier approval process much more difficult at obtaining documentation. Would a statement/ agreement be sufficient in place of obtaining all of the documents. For example, one of our customer/suppliers have almost 10 brands and each brand have 1-3 manufactures/sites. Therefore, I would need a GFSI cert for all facilities and approve each separately. We currently ask for all the documents including GFSI audit corrective actions but I am finding it difficult getting anything (including product specifications). Please provide any suggestions! I have attached the current documents that we send out to suppliers/customers along with our approval checklist to give an idea of what our current process is. Thanks!

Lynx42

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 June 2024 - 07:52 PM

You are way overthinking it.  You  just need a statement that you do not own or handle exposed product stored in your warehouse.

SQF Storage and Distribution 2.3.2.1 says "...Product descriptions for all incoming supplies used by the site but not intended for distribution, including, but not limited to hazardous chemicals, ice, food packaging materials, or janitorial supplies that are used on-site and impact on product safety shall be documented and kept current."  

We are a ambient only 3PL that does not own any of the product we store and will be audited against SQF module 12.  We had our SQF GAP audit recently and are still waiting on the audit report. 

One thing she did say about the supplier approval was to make sure we had ALL suppliers of the things we use. i.e. forklifts, pallets, stretch wrap, labels, cleaning supplies...  
We just have a list of suppliers we use (Uline, Grainger, Office Depot...) on our Preventative Maintenance Program under Approved Vendors with our lift repair, door repair, fire extinguisher inspection and all other approved services and contractors.  I will have more info on what we were missing by the end of the week because I'm pretty sure we are missing a lot.  The GAP auditor glossed over it during the audit, just made a comment that even though one of our customer pawns their empty pallets off on us (which we use in other warehouses), they still need to be on our supplier approval program.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 406 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 13 June 2024 - 11:19 AM

According to the code, it only mentions developing and approving product descriptions in the code.  As long as you have these and your program is documented and you are following your program on how you approve suppliers, you should be good.  At the end of the section it does mention specifications, product requirements and incoming supplies being reviewed annually.  Maybe you can come up with a short questionnaire to send to your suppliers for them to answer and also add in their product description.  Wouldn't hurt to then ask for specification to keep on file.  Hope this helps.

LaurenH

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 June 2024 - 01:11 PM

Thank you! If you receive more feedback from your SQF GAP audit that you think would be helpful, please let me know! I appreciate your response!

You are way overthinking it.  You  just need a statement that you do not own or handle exposed product stored in your warehouse.

SQF Storage and Distribution 2.3.2.1 says "...Product descriptions for all incoming supplies used by the site but not intended for distribution, including, but not limited to hazardous chemicals, ice, food packaging materials, or janitorial supplies that are used on-site and impact on product safety shall be documented and kept current."  

We are a ambient only 3PL that does not own any of the product we store and will be audited against SQF module 12.  We had our SQF GAP audit recently and are still waiting on the audit report. 

One thing she did say about the supplier approval was to make sure we had ALL suppliers of the things we use. i.e. forklifts, pallets, stretch wrap, labels, cleaning supplies...  
We just have a list of suppliers we use (Uline, Grainger, Office Depot...) on our Preventative Maintenance Program under Approved Vendors with our lift repair, door repair, fire extinguisher inspection and all other approved services and contractors.  I will have more info on what we were missing by the end of the week because I'm pretty sure we are missing a lot.  The GAP auditor glossed over it during the audit, just made a comment that even though one of our customer pawns their empty pallets off on us (which we use in other warehouses), they still need to be on our supplier approval program.

LaurenH

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 June 2024 - 01:14 PM

Thank you for your response! Very helpful. We are doing more than the code requires at this point and would like to reassess to establish a much more sensible supplier program.

According to the code, it only mentions developing and approving product descriptions in the code.  As long as you have these and your program is documented and you are following your program on how you approve suppliers, you should be good.  At the end of the section it does mention specifications, product requirements and incoming supplies being reviewed annually.  Maybe you can come up with a short questionnaire to send to your suppliers for them to answer and also add in their product description.  Wouldn't hurt to then ask for specification to keep on file.  Hope this helps.

Lynx42

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 June 2024 - 02:22 PM

Got it this morning.

2.3.2.1 she marked as N/A with a comment: The site does not own product and therefore does not create or approve product descriptions.

2.3.2.2 Compliant, no comments.

2.3.2.3 Compliant, The site receives material to pack enclosed product in from customers.  Even though this product is not owned by the site, it is received and inspected as a typical inbound. (we do at times box product into 4-packs for one customer, but all primary packaging stays intact.)

2.3.2.4 Compliant, no comments.

2.3.2.5 Compliant, no comments.

2.3.2.3 Compliant, no comments.

2.3.2.7 Minor, Ensure a system set-up for the annual review of product requirements and specifications.  Once established, it may be as simple as "no changes received since last review."

LaurenH

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 June 2024 - 02:28 PM

Awesome! Thank you so much!

Got it this morning.

2.3.2.1 she marked as N/A with a comment: The site does not own product and therefore does not create or approve product descriptions.

2.3.2.3 Compliant, The site receives material to pack enclosed product in from customers.  Even though this product is not owned by the site, it is received and inspected as a typical inbound. (we do at times box product into 4-packs for one customer, but all primary packaging stays intact.)

2.3.2.7 Minor, Ensure a system set-up for the annual review of product requirements and specifications.  Once established, it may be as simple as "no changes received since last review."

LaurenH

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 June 2024 - 04:15 PM

Do you mind if I ask what type of products your facility stores? Is it all food items?

Got it this morning.

Lynx42

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 June 2024 - 04:25 PM

The facilities that were part of the GAP audit were all ambient food or food contact packaging.  Finished products and ingredients (raw materials that are only stored, not processes by us).
We do also have mixed facilities that store both food and non-food.  

LaurenH

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 June 2024 - 04:33 PM

Thank you. My company wants to expand our scope to be able to store non-food items and or dietary supplements/personal care items and I am unsure how to go about that. We are currently SQF certified for Food. Any suggestions or areas of concern?

The facilities that were part of the GAP audit were all ambient food or food contact packaging.  Finished products and ingredients (raw materials that are only stored, not processes by us).
We do also have mixed facilities that store both food and non-food.  

Lynx42

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 June 2024 - 04:50 PM

As long as the non-food does not pose a risk to food safety it should be okay. 

We have some customers who store food and non-food with us and it's together by customer (branded napkins, tableware, signs).  We also have other non-food products that could be a bit riskier (a non-hazardous sandy type material), but that is all kept in one corner of the building and has it's own dedicated space and dock doors with less risky (appliances) in between it and the food (canned food is purposely the closest food to it).  That facility is scheduled to become SQF next year.  

LaurenH

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 June 2024 - 04:52 PM

Of course. Thank you. But do you need to include them in the SQF audit scope even though they are not food?

As long as the non-food does not pose a risk to food safety it should be okay. 

We have some customers who store food and non-food with us and it's together by customer (branded napkins, tableware, signs).  We also have other non-food products that could be a bit riskier (a non-hazardous sandy type material), but that is all kept in one corner of the building and has it's own dedicated space and dock doors with less risky (appliances) in between it and the food (canned food is purposely the closest food to it).  That facility is scheduled to become SQF next year.  

Lynx42

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 June 2024 - 04:55 PM

That I don't know yet.  Someone else should be able to answer if it's not already addressed on another thread.  

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users