What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Gold Flake/Edible Gold

Started by , Jun 12 2024 06:44 PM
9 Replies

Hey all, 

I received a question from a potential co-packing customer that would like to put real gold leaf in a jam. We are SQF certified (in case that makes a difference). 

In the List of Permitted Food Additives, CFIA states: 

"7. Gold (1)
Unstandardized alcoholic beverages; Liqueur (1) Good Manufacturing Practice (2)
Ready-to-eat cold-smoked salmon (2) Good Manufacturing Practice. To decorate the surface."

However, I see plenty of Canadian companies put gold leaf in items such as chocolate for example. 

Basically my question is, if we make a jam with gold leaf in it and the gold leaf is certified food safe (of course), is this legal/allowed? 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
What do smoked salmon manufacturers with gold cards do for metal detection? Validation of a vegan product that is cooked, sliced and then added to a gold card and vacuumed then pasteurised Foreign Matter - entire gold crown in a chocolate covered caramel Old is Gold
[Ad]

No CFIA expert, but one question leading to "probably yes" is the serving size and the amount of gold consumed.  Gold is technically toxic at a high enough level.

1 Like

Salt Bae says you're safe.   Now stay golden Pony Boy....

1 Like1 Thank

CFIA will permit it provided your following GMPs which translate to:

using an approved supplier

only using small amounts of gold leaf

NOT including it in the net weight of your finished good as it's technically not food

1 Like1 Thank

Thank you very much! 

CFIA will permit it provided your following GMPs which translate to:

using an approved supplier

only using small amounts of gold leaf

NOT including it in the net weight of your finished good as it's technically not food

I would think that as gold is a chemical; that the limits of ingestion of such a chemical needs to be proven and validated.

I would think that as gold is a chemical; that the limits of ingestion of such a chemical needs to be proven and validated.

Gold is not a chemical-it is an inert metal and therefore safe to consume in small quantities as it passes through the human digestive tract in it's entirety 

Great!  Can you validate that and prove there is no risk to the consumer?  Be nice to have such information to prove

Eu says its probably safe.  There are some puirty parameters listed which seem logical to me

https://efsa.onlinel....efsa.2016.4362

It is listed as a food color in canada, but only for the uses the OP already stated.   

Great!  Can you validate that and prove there is no risk to the consumer?  Be nice to have such information to prove

The manufacturer of the food grade gold leaf should be able to provide suitable product specifications to support the claim.

There are other much more toxic minerals in gold deposits that need to be refined out, like lead, mercury and arsenic.

Similar Discussion Topics
What do smoked salmon manufacturers with gold cards do for metal detection? Validation of a vegan product that is cooked, sliced and then added to a gold card and vacuumed then pasteurised Foreign Matter - entire gold crown in a chocolate covered caramel Old is Gold