• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Finland
    Finland

Posted 11 June 2024 - 06:20 AM

Hello,

This might come off as a bit of an ignorant question, but would anyone have tips on cleaning big air conditioning pipes that are out of reach by conventional means like a ladder?

Mostly I'd be interested if you'd have tips about specifics cleaning equipment for the place is pretty narrow and can't really fit a personal lifter.

Thank You

Artturi Oksanen

johnct

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 June 2024 - 12:10 PM

Hello Artturi, 

If it is too high to use a ladder or a scissor lift you may need to call a professional. Depending on what type of dirt is inside the ducts and the diameter of it, if you figure out a way to reach them with a very very long stick you can use combining multiple (bendable)  wire brushes that are large size pipe cleaning brushes, cover them with the appropriate softer brushes not to damage or scratch the interior walls  and expand on them to match the edges of the ducts.

That being said, calling a professional will most likely save you time and money in case of damaging something and have to get it fixed.

Good luck

John CT

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 394 posts
  • 123 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 11 June 2024 - 03:29 PM

I've found scissor lifts to be the best option here, this will let sanitation crews get closer to the area in question and actually see how clean/dirty it is. Sometimes the "long pole with a brush on it" approach results in a guy just blindly brushing the ceiling without actually getting anything.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,770 posts
  • 1157 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 11 June 2024 - 05:18 PM

I had a company that used a drywall spackle/chimney sweep guy that came with stilts and a protection cage. Worked out well.  

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

CONSULTANT

https://t.me/MVIDigitalWarrior

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 599 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 June 2024 - 07:49 PM

If your production environment layout is preventing you from accessing elevated service lines, this is a good thing to note for any future equipment upgrades or renovations.  Leaving enough space to get a scissor lift, ladder, etc. in is an important part of the facility design that most standards encourage.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users