• 37 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 June 2024 - 01:38 PM

Hi

Just a quick question

A coffee company that produces ground coffee, some of it infused with flavouring have the spraying of flavouring step in the process as a CCP. The coffee beans are roasted and then cooled and then ground and then infused with flavouring before being packaged. 

I just wondered if folk this was correct? .. I understand that it is the last step with no further before packaging but wouldn't the cleaning methodology and verification for the equipment used for spraying be enough to ensure food safety? It is the only CCP and I'm leaning towards the roasting part of the process as needing to be more closely monitored too. The roasting is obviously done for quality purposes but could this in-fact also be considered a kill step?

Thank You!  :headhurts:

ashleyjongkind

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 June 2024 - 03:41 PM

I  propose to get the HACCP team together and decide whether this is actually a CCP or if it's a risk controlled by prerequisites.

Take a look at an historical issues with this step. If there are no historical issues you may not have a CCP on hand.

We are manufacturing plastic food trays. We do not have any CCP's in our plan. We believe all hazards are adequately addressed by PRP.

Thanked by 1 Member:

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 729 posts
  • 197 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 June 2024 - 04:20 PM

I can't imagine how spraying flavor itself is a CCP.  What hazard would flavor be controlling?

Thanked by 1 Member:

Dee70

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 June 2024 - 09:35 AM

I totally agree .. but I felt like maybe I was missing something  :smile:

Thank You!

cookinmaple

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 June 2024 - 12:01 PM

Few things I would consider before eliminating the CCP are,

If its a liquid flavoring, is there drying time before its packaged? Is the finished product tested for moisture and water activity? This could affect shelf life and growth of molds if moisture is sealed in the package with finished products.

I would also want confirmation from the supplier in form of a COA that flavorings is microbiologically tested to ensure you are not adding unwanted biological hazards to the finished product after the kill step(roasting, if correct temps are reached).

Edited by cookinmaple, 07 June 2024 - 12:04 PM.

MOHAMMED ZAMEERUDDIN

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 294 posts
  • 62 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Sharing the Knowledge

Posted 08 June 2024 - 04:57 AM

CCP is based on the control measure required to reduce or prevent any significant food safety hazard. First identify the hazard.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users