• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 May 2024 - 09:33 PM

Hi all,

I was hoping I could get some suggestions for temp trackers to use in our refrigerated trucks, but my situation is a bit unique. Here are my requirements:

1. Emailed alerts if temps are too high (or low, which is rare) is a must.

2. Our trucks go out cold, but then the reefer is turned off at the last stop and they are driven back at ambient temps. So, the email alerts need to not trigger on the way back.

3. Absolutely no effort required on the part of the driver.

We were trialing a program with an established company (rhymes with FenciPeck), but they've gone radio silent. Their solution worked really well since it was geofenced, and we could end the route at the last stop.

GPS tracking isn't necessary, since our dashcams do that. The trucks are refrigerated, not frozen. Travel time is relatively short, up to about 6 hours per day.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

salmonella

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 June 2024 - 05:18 PM

When I worked in pharma we used Traceable dataloggers for refrigerated drug shipments. They make disposable ones that can be scanned and data log every minute. Since you said you required email notification, ideally you would use something more permanent like this (typically used for vaccine refrigerators):

https://www.coleparm...AyABEgInlfD_BwE

The only issue with this is the need for wifi and perhaps price. Does your dashcam require wifi and/or have the ability to run its own hotspot?

If you want a cheap and non-calibrated method, use Govee thermometers. They're insanely cheap on amazon, and typically not too far off from calibrated thermometers. Same requirement of wifi tho in order to send notifications to anyone other than the driver.

seanpaulrader

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 June 2024 - 10:37 PM

Thank you! That particular one won't work for us because of the WiFi requirement, but it has sent me down a rabbit hole of possible contenders with Bluetooth connectivity.

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 143 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 20 June 2024 - 02:58 PM

Check this one out. The app lets you set a ton of time and temperature parameters. The probe is also like 15' long.

You could mount it in the cab of the truck and run the probe into the storage area.

https://www.elitechu...or-rcw-800w-tde

They're also available on Amazon.

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 710 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 July 2024 - 06:51 PM

Have you looked into SmartSense?