What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Hand Dryers in Production Areas

Started by , May 28 2024 12:26 AM
4 Replies
Hello,
I feel a bit foolish asking this question but I haven't found data to support that hand air dryers not being acceptable in production areas due to creating airborne contamination. Logically (to me), I would normally say not allowed due to proximity of food contact and food areas. Any experience or opinions on this are very welcome.
I think my question is regarding if the hand air dryers, specifically a dyson, would be considered compressed air and therefore subject to those requirements?
Thank you in advance for your response!

Thank you,
Sara
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
OPRP Hand Washing Procedure Hand Wash Water Temperatures GMP Hand Swabs Converting Hand Wash Sinks to Hands Free Supplier reducing sodium in product - still have old packaging film on hand
[Ad]

This used to be a pretty sticky wicket, however not really anymore as a number of companies are using them having done their due dilligence in conducting risk analysis - a client of ours wanted to replace 20 towels dispensers with the dyson air blades and did an example test (you could call is compressed air, but not by the way it is delivered - so that could go either way) based on how a compressed air test would be handled and found NO trace of issues and it is not what it could blow out into a production area but strictly what it could blow onto someone's hands.

I have yet to see a test that showed an issue and since that client (which was about 15 years ago) did their test and risk analysis they have never had an auditor argue their use of the blades.

You will not have to run air tests on these like you would on a compressed air system - completely different.

blade away!

Dear Sara,

I have no relevant data for you. As auditor I have some experience in hand dryers, both in production and in hygience sluices.

During an audit I would ask for your documented risk assessment. I would also like to see micro testing on the air. indeed similar to compressed air. And also similar to the water. You probably also check the water microbiologically.

For the old model hand dryers, the ones you have to stick your hands in and is a little bit a U-shape, you have to consider:

- the water that sometimes stand on the bottom. It is a very small amount, but depending on your environment can promote the growth of Listeria;

- the place you insert your hands in. I have often seen, that, when this model is used in production, esspecially this side of the equipment becomes dirty and a contamination risk. This is in most cases caused by dirty sleeves (disposable or from the uniform). The hands are washed, but the sleeves not, when inserting the hands, the dirty sleeves touches the entrance and dirt (e.g. sauces, product rests) will stick to the Dyson;

- the filter system needs to be included in preventive maintenance system and be replaced on an adequate frequency. I have seen them black and mouldy due to not replacing for 2 years.

For the integrated tap and dryers, please consider:

- the air pressure, sometimes this is so strong that drops get everywere; so also consider

- the distance from this handwashing equipment to your product and production equipment;

- make sure there is a minimum time for the water to run before the air blower is activated. To prevent the possibility that the air blows over dirty hands and gives a contaminated airflow.

Whichever you use, make sure it is effective in short time and that there are enoughhand dryers facilitated.

If it takes a long time for staff to dry their hands with airblower, they will wipe off their wet hands on their overall...this is not what you want.

Also if staff has to wait before they have acces to hand wash facilities or hand dryer they will skip this small hygiene practice.

Imagine what happens if 40 workers return from their lunch break and their are only 4 handwash facilities and 2 airdryers.....

Succes with your risk assessment.

No scientific data I can think of off hand, but I did in-person tests and found listeria in my plant's restrooms on the wall and floor under where the hand dryers were spraying.  I had auditors ask, but not press, as to whether I had swabbed the inside of the air dryers for potential pathogens (arguing that the machines themselves could harbor pathogens and blow it directly onto employees' freshly washed hands.  Once they started getting to that level, I called for them to be pulled and we went back to paper towel dispensers.

Did a formal risk assessment in a shelf stable dry baking environment.   Hand dryers (Dyson) were not used in close proximity of lines due to aerosol potential. 

However we did the following to monitor and part or general maintenance:

1. Air and surfaces were tested daily to start, then moved to weekly, then quarterly thereafter as part of the EMP.  

2. Water dripping off the hand dryer was collected via a catch pan and a sponge was placed in the pan.  This was cleaned swapped out and and cleaned per shift. 

3. Same with the sponge the hand dryer as a whole was on a per shift cleaning with sanitation and on the MCS.  So conducted 3x each day.  

4. Dryers were only used in appropriate areas, which included the warehouse, and directly upon entering the processing areas, away from any exposed product, both RTE and Non-RTE.  

5. Change the HEPA filter at a rate of 2x the scheduled interval.  If it says 6 months, do every 3 months.  I believe this was a major factor into the general cleanliness of these pieces of equipment and their functionality overall.   

There was a significant reduction in paper towel usage and this actually turned into and ROI fairly quickly, I believe within 9 months.  Also less work of taking trash outside as the main handwashing was not using consumables.  

We didn't go full 'compressed air' ISO 8573-1 method as we were mainly looking for pathogens and indicator organisms.  Due diligence and some testing was really the main ticket items. 

1 Like1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
OPRP Hand Washing Procedure Hand Wash Water Temperatures GMP Hand Swabs Converting Hand Wash Sinks to Hands Free Supplier reducing sodium in product - still have old packaging film on hand Hand Soap for Organic food production facility Hand Soap Refill Methods Hand Swabs of Food Handlers as verification of hand hygiene Hand Degreaser Soap Is Unscented Hand Moisturizer Allowed Underneath Gloves?