What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Testing for Shelf-life of Vital Wheat Gluten

Started by , May 23 2024 08:37 PM
2 Replies

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into assessing the shelf-life of a product - Vital Wheat Gluten. If I have some product that is nearing it's labelled best before date, what parameters might I test it for?

My initial thought was testing for Yeast and Mold, moisture content, appearance, and odour. I could potentially perform a form of bake test, but I was hoping to fish for any other recommendations. 

This is a powdered product, in a 50lb corrugate type bag.

Thank-you for any and all advise or general responses.

Gareth

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Quat Sanitizer Testing Analytical Testing - Frozen Snack Items (Samosas, Rolls) Compressed Air Testing for Non-Food Contact Testing Plan Risk Assessment In-house Pathogen Testing
[Ad]

Vital wheat gluten is meant for further processing so I wouldn't go the micro route (Y&M), more as you mentioned appearance (organoleptic) and moisture, then add protein %.  If you see any variances according to the specification create a new COA based on the newly obtained parameters.  

1 Thank

Vital wheat gluten is meant for further processing so I wouldn't go the micro route (Y&M), more as you mentioned appearance (organoleptic) and moisture, then add protein %.  If you see any variances according to the specification create a new COA based on the newly obtained parameters.  

It has Y&M tested by the manufacturer, so if we tested it at it's current age, would it potentially be an indicator of it's stability, if simply used for internal purposes? i.e., if the results of current test are the same, if not slightly different, would it suggest product stability, in additional to the aforementioned organoleptic tests?

Thank-you for the timely response @nwilson!

Gareth.

Similar Discussion Topics
Quat Sanitizer Testing Analytical Testing - Frozen Snack Items (Samosas, Rolls) Compressed Air Testing for Non-Food Contact Testing Plan Risk Assessment In-house Pathogen Testing Environmental testing plan - listeria & TVC Product testing during release as a CCP Organic Honey Testing Could you help me develop a testing protocol for the nutritional analysis of canned products? Compressor Testing