What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Is it ok to have a wooden partition wall?

Started by , May 22 2024 06:16 PM
5 Replies

We'd like to build a wall in a food storage area to separate food storage and non-food storage. Are we able to build this wall out of OSB and leave the exposed wood as long as it's in good condition. Food grade storage would be ambient temperature and dry.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
wall clearance Distance allowed to place containers in the wall Looking for Graduated cylinder wall mounts Looking for a GFSI certified supplier of multi-wall paper bags in the US Can we use wooden handled raw hide hammers
[Ad]

Nope--you cannot clean it

Paint it or cover the wood 

Agreed with above, wood is not a suitable material for food processing environments because it cannot be cleaned and is prone to wear/damage. I would look into PVC wall panels, these are easy to install and are a cleanable surface. 

2 Likes

As this is only a storage/warehouse area, washability is not critical.  No plant I've ever worked in is wet washing their storage warehouse walls.  But untreated wood will standout and attract questions, not to mention any gaps between the OSB could lead to potential pest harborage within the stud frame.  I mean, plenty of room for arguing it as most of us place sealed cases of product directly onto a wooden pallet with maybe a slipsheet, but I digress...

First plant I ever worked in had unpainted taped sheetrock as their warehouse walls, along with exposed concrete where the walls made up the outside of the tilt up warehouse building.  We had it on the schedule to sweep these walls to prevent dust accumulation once per quarter, literally just sending a guy up in a scissor lift with a big dust mop.  Auditors never had an issue with it.

Well, hold on there just one second missy!

OSB even in super dry conditions has an uncanny ability to shed strands of material as the adhesive in the facing dries out.

I rule NO.

We frame the wall up with wood then cover it with metal. The metal is ribbed like roofing metal. Easy to clean and fairly inexpensive. 

Similar Discussion Topics
wall clearance Distance allowed to place containers in the wall Looking for Graduated cylinder wall mounts Looking for a GFSI certified supplier of multi-wall paper bags in the US Can we use wooden handled raw hide hammers Wooden Pallets Inventory What is the minimum gap between wall and fermentation tanks? How to fix small cracks in wall to floor junctions? SQF 11.2.3 Wall Construction Can we use panibois wooden trays in a wood free factory?