What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Food Safe Knives

Started by , May 22 2024 01:14 PM
10 Replies

WE manufacture labels for the food industry. They are all non-direct food contact; must our knives be food safe/metal detectable?

I am looking at knives with ceramic blades for safety reasons, but would this go against food safety, or do we need to adhere to this since its non-food contact.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Rejection for major food allergen Food Safety Requirements Food Safety Requirements Can Inhalers and Emergency Prescribed Medications be Allowed in Food Production Areas under SQF and FDA Requirements? Food Fraud
[Ad]

For labels?   I personally don't think it would matter....

For labels?   I personally don't think it would matter....

Yes, I am our H&S person, but our quality person is saying we have to have metal detectable knives since they touch the product (Labels) Is the guy correct we need metal detectable knives or is he going "all out?" 

Ideally, I want our team to be using ceramic blades for safer operation, but he is saying we cannot because they must be metal detectable..

You know your product better than me, but if it's just flat paper labels, I don't personally see how it matters.    If it were packaging, like bags or boxes, I'd agree.   I've had our packaging contain metal in the past, between the liner and outer bag.

But if you're making flat paper labels only, I don't see it.   Perhaps a better description of exactly what it is you produce?

1 Like

You know your product better than me, but if it's just flat paper labels, I don't personally see how it matters.    If it were packaging, like bags or boxes, I'd agree.   I've had our packaging contain metal in the past, between the liner and outer bag.

But if you're making flat paper labels only, I don't see it.   Perhaps a better description of exactly what it is you produce?

Labels for mints (IE: Tic Tac mints) Labels for bourbon. Non actually touch the product but are on the packaging that touches the products. 

Labels for mints (IE: Tic Tac mints) Labels for bourbon. Non actually touch the product but are on the packaging that touches the products. 

1 Like

Hold onto the Mints, I'll take the boubon!

I agree with MDaleDDF - this is an expense you don't need to put out for.  

All out = overly cautious, yes that would be my take too.

1 Like

Do you metal detect your labels?  If the answer is no then what good would a metal detectable blade do.  If the label doesn't come into direct contact with a product then then there is no risk to the product through usage.  I would still inspect the blades at a frequency that works, however this is more for H&S purposes.  

2 Likes

Do you metal detect your labels?  If the answer is no then what good would a metal detectable blade do. ...

^ That's a good distinction on what is appropriate.  If the product itself (the labels you make) isn't being tested, what difference does the tool material make?

1 Like

Hold onto the Mints, I'll take the boubon!

I volunteer to help you with a little 'qa testing'.....

I think I would be more concerned that you are intentionally introducing ceramic into your process. I believe that would go along with having all knives on your register, risk assessment, and regular (per shift) inspections to ensure the blades didn't chip or break. Those things are pretty tough (H&S manager here too) I trialed a bunch but decided the extra hassle wasn't worth the cost.

Similar Discussion Topics
Rejection for major food allergen Food Safety Requirements Food Safety Requirements Can Inhalers and Emergency Prescribed Medications be Allowed in Food Production Areas under SQF and FDA Requirements? Food Fraud Food Category under Codex Guidance on Using "Clean Label" for Imported Food Products How to Address and Resolve Water Quality Issues in a Food Manufacturing Facility Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Are there any food safety standards or guidelines for Freeze Dried Fruits and Vegetables?