• Quick Navigation
Photo

Supplier Performance - How does it affect your supplier's risk score?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

JeremyJL

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 May 2024 - 06:06 AM

Hello,

I'm looking to improve my ingredient supplier management program. Scheme: FSSC 22000.

Specifically, I'm working on the Supplier Risk Assessment piece and the Supplier Performance Monitoring piece. The part that I'm stumbling on right now is how to incorporate a supplier's performance into their supplier risk score.

For example:

Let's assume the below hypotheticals:

1. I review supplier performance monthly through various metrics. One of those metrics is reviewing how many nonconforming ingredients we received in the previous month for each supplier.
  2. A given supplier has a risk score of Medium based on the supplier risk assessment.
  3. The target for supplier performance is zero critical nonconformities.
  4. In the most recent month, we had 1 critical nonconformity with the supplier. The issue was resolved quickly and effectively. 

Since this supplier technically did not meet the target due to the 1 critical nonconformance, what is the repercussion on their supplier risk level? Does their risk level now jump from Medium to High, thus triggering audits and other activities? That seems excessive every time a nonconformance happens.

Hopefully this question makes sense. Just looking for insight on how other companies combine performance data with supplier risk assessment data.

All the best,

Jeremy

birdfood

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 May 2024 - 01:27 PM

It sounds like it might be time to review and revise the program if it's not working as intended or not working the best it could! You could consider setting up regular meetings (biweekly, monthly, quarterly) or records submission to verify their CAPA has been sufficient to close out whatever the nonconformance was before going full onsite audit. I've seen some programs have a "...perform onsite audit upon critical nonconformance or other activities as determined by documented risk assessment and evaluation." to allow for flexibility.

Thanked by 1 Member:

JeremyJL

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 May 2024 - 03:41 AM

Hey there! Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am actually in the process of rebuilding the entire program right now, which is why I'm seeking help, haha!

The part I'm struggling with is how to incorporate supplier performance into that supplier's overall risk score. It's hard to figure out without seeing examples of how other companies do it.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users