What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Any food product naming policy in EU?

Started by , May 14 2024 03:14 PM
1 Reply

Dear all, 

Our company are discussing to change our product name. One of the attendees mentioned that we need to included the vegetable name in the product name

Like we have a cabbage&chicken dumpling, then we cannot print the name of "Japanese gyoza" on our label, but "cabbage japanese gyoza" or "cabbage&chicken gyoza".

Is this right, in EU food labelling rules

Mandatory information for prepacked foods

What type of information are you required to mention?

• name of the food

there is no more details.

Can I name my product as "Japanese gyoza"? I really confused.

Confused Sushan

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Top non-conformances among all IFS audited food factories UK verification /tests on importend food SQF 9 Food Manufacturing – Module 11 clarification No food from Chine Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement?
[Ad]

Hi!  Not sure if my memory is failing me... But unless it's different to how we applied (and pretty much continue to apply*) EU law in the UK, you can have a name on front of pack but then there is a "legal name" requirement.  That's normally on back of pack above the ingredients listing or nutritional.  Unless there is a specific bit of legislation or it's a really well known and understood simple foodstuff, you'd make that a descriptive name.  

So for example, on this product which is also a gyoza on a UK website, you can see the legal name on the online information:

https://www.tesco.co...ducts/299955276

The legal name they've put here is a description, i.e.:

"Steamed Asian style wheat parcels filled with chicken & vegetables"

And on front of pack they've called them "chicken gyoza".

I wouldn't personally call them "Japanese gyoza" unless they're actually made in Japan.  It was drummed into me in my legal labelling course that one of the most fundamental principles is "you should not mislead the consumer".

Hope that helps but even within the EU there can be the odd nuance.

(Also *wasn't that a bloody waste of time and no, there was no way I voted to leave.  I voted to stay along with the vast majority of the food industry.)

Similar Discussion Topics
Top non-conformances among all IFS audited food factories UK verification /tests on importend food SQF 9 Food Manufacturing – Module 11 clarification No food from Chine Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Environmental Monitoring in Food Packaging Food Fraud Assessment Examples for Food Safety & Quality Culture as per FSSC 22000 V6 requirement Examples for Food Safety & Quality Culture as per FSSC 22000 V6 requirement Food Defense