Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 April 2024 - 02:29 PM

I am facing a situation with a big direct food contact surface used post kill step and need advice. I work with shelf stable product and we have a big food contact surface we noticed was in unsanitary condition. Alot of food residue in hard to clean areas of this food contact surface. This surface apparently is only being cleaned with water on some days. So all this residue just gets wet and dried. First instinct is to put it on Hold. Sanitized food contact surfaces are a preventive control. What would you do if the hold was removed by someone above you and ran as it is, no cleaning or sanitizing, the reason being that they have to run production. Most likely it is still not clean but am unsure what else to do as it is used daily. Feedback appreciated.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,622 posts
  • 1538 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 April 2024 - 02:43 PM

where is your sanitation schedule?   Pre oP?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

FSperson900

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 April 2024 - 02:45 PM

Daily cleaning but theres no written procedures.

FSperson900

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 April 2024 - 02:46 PM

where is your sanitation schedule? Pre oP?

Daily pre start inspection. It is supposed to be cleaned daily. Theres no ssop though

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,622 posts
  • 1538 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 April 2024 - 03:05 PM

That's your problem

Write the procedure

Create the records

Equipment isn't used if it's not visually clean at start up

A food safety plan requires this as a bare minimum          your product will not be shelf stable using a dirty nasty surface to work on for much longer

• G M likes this

FSperson900

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 April 2024 - 03:08 PM

That's your problem

Write the procedure

Create the records

Equipment isn't used if it's not visually clean at start up

A food safety plan requires this as a bare minimum your product will not be shelf stable using a dirty nasty surface to work on for much longer

I agree. We have a sanitation manager and have asked for ssop reviews but no action was taken. I joined this team last year and am finding these issues. I tried to stop the usage of the line but thats when the hold got removed. I understand the procedure needs to be written and requested this but I believe the line should not run until clean.

Edited by FSperson900, 19 April 2024 - 03:09 PM.

FSperson900

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 April 2024 - 05:11 PM

Just to add some info, the issue is with a belt. I am not sure how to move forward besides documenting this.

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 143 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 19 April 2024 - 06:17 PM

I'm not sure how job responsibility is set up at your company, but this is what I would do.

Write an SOP that describes the best way to clean & sanitize the belt.

Follow the SOP and take pictures of each cleaning step. Add these pictures to the SOP.

Create a basic daily pre-operation log with a signature section.

Explain the SOP to staff working the belt, have them sign off that they received training, and require the log to be completed daily.

Review these logs within 1 week, add your signature, and store in a binder.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,622 posts
  • 1538 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 April 2024 - 07:02 PM

If you find that the managers are not on side, and you've taken this up the ladder, I suggest you find another employer

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,773 posts
  • 1157 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 19 April 2024 - 10:10 PM

I agree with Scampi and Alton and may I add it appears your company needs a top down re-setting of the organizational chart, duties, responsibilities etc or this sh+t continues.  

Years ago I inspected a company in the midwest US, it was bad, really bad, not only filthy, but the people - it was all wrong, gives me chills just thinking about that place - but something happened there when they had a recall because two little children died as a result of production taking a QA Hold off of something.

When I went back to re-inspect, it had been turned into one of the coolest places I had been too and the new President completely re-arranged the organization with production as a direct report to QA, and while the Director of Operations reported to the President as a dotted line - the DO reported directly to QA -- so that in effect it was QA that was fully in charge and the office next to the Presidents office was not production, but QA.

I'm following the lead of this company as our own food company project becomes reality - later this year we'll begin a search for a terrific QA.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

CONSULTANT

https://t.me/MVIDigitalWarrior

FSperson900

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 April 2024 - 02:00 PM

I agree with Scampi and Alton and may I add it appears your company needs a top down re-setting of the organizational chart, duties, responsibilities etc or this sh+t continues.

Thank you for your response. I have been in my position for about half a year and have spent alot of time putting out fires and working with a very small understaffed qa team. We have a sanitation manager that does not seem interested in writing any cleaning procedures. There is a manual but very old and has gone years without review. I have brought many issues to the attention of management without any follow ups from anyone. when this incident happened i was told they had no choice because they had to produce and lets say that this manager even volunteered to remove the tags themselves when i refused. It is possible this issue has been going on for a while since the people doing cleanliness inspections were saying everything was clean and we just started working on verifying this. While I am looking for somewhere else to work at, I am stuck in a very unsettling situation.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,622 posts
  • 1538 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 April 2024 - 03:41 PM

You can always report them to the local/state regulators..................just sayin   there's always more than one way to skin a cat

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 600 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 April 2024 - 09:38 PM

... cleaning procedures. There is a manual but very old and has gone years without review. I have brought many issues to the attention of management without any follow ups from anyone....

Sanitation procedures, even simple ones, are required by food safety regulations in most places.  If this kind of thing is being ignored and unsanitary equipment is being put into use because they can't be bothered to take the extra time necessary to get it clean, update and follow their own procedures, they are headed for problems you do not want to be associated with or held responsible for.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users