What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Freezing onions

Started by , Apr 10 2024 07:36 AM
3 Replies

Hello everyone,

I am facing a specific issue with processing frozen onions on industrial scale with odour being a concern. Could anyone share their expertise on the following?

1. Does blanching of onion dices/slices help in reducing the odour issue during long storage durations like a year?
2. Are there specific verities of onion that give better results on freezing ?
3. Does frying of onion before freezing  address the odour issue?

Thank you.

Regards,

Pranita Kotasthane

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Chilling & Freezing Time and Temperature Control... Legislation? Freezing Legislation Micro implications of re-freezing sausages Freezing exceptions/exemptions (EC) 852/2004 Freezing in Freezer Critical Limits
[Ad]

Greetings Pranita,

By odour I believe you mean bad odor, like rotten. Blanching can help if done right (boiling followed by immediate cooling then freezing), but it will propably up the production cost. However it deactivates the enzymes (since enzymatic activity can continue even through freezing), so you won't worry about the onions going bad.

No onion variety is resistant to enzymatic activity, hence bad odour.

Frying could work also, but what is it that you are selling? Fried onions? Fresh frozen onions? You are describing two different products here and furthermore frying will "caramelize" the onions.

Regards

1 Like

Hi Evans,

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I meant bad smell that is prominent during storage of frozen onions. 

I have been getting partial information from the industrial experts that there are certain varieties that perform better if not the best, on freezing, that leads to lesser odour generation during storage. In the similar lines, some processors claim that sautéing (not frying, excuse me for the use of wrong term) and then freezing onions slices or dices helps in addressing the odour issue to some extent. We are yet to get into processing phase and hence have the flexibility to decide on which product to go ahead with- blanched and frozen (IQF to be specific) onions, unbalanced and frozen (IQF) onions or sautéed and frozen (IQF) onions. I am trying to find out if there is any practical solution, scientific basis or any literature that mentions how to address the odour issue in frozen onions.

Regards,

Pranita Kotasthane 

Onions smell   this is going to be a cost of doing business

The only thing you can do is blast freeze at as low a temperature as possible and then store them that way

freezers are traditionally at -18C, you may want to shot for -25C

2 Likes1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Chilling & Freezing Time and Temperature Control... Legislation? Freezing Legislation Micro implications of re-freezing sausages Freezing exceptions/exemptions (EC) 852/2004 Freezing in Freezer Critical Limits Freezing Tunnel Cleaning Raw meat freezing standard Risk Assessment for CO2 gas used in freezing fish and fish fillet Is "Freezing" a CCP or not? Freezing and quick thawing of fresh dairy alternative drinks