What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Assessing the need for zoning and Enviromental monitoring

Started by , Apr 09 2024 04:06 PM
6 Replies

Hi all,

My company manufactures, in the same production area, both sterilized products (based on mushrooms and truffles) and assembled products that are stable at room temperature (combined).To give you an idea, the latter products are made by adding dried truffle to dry ingredients (e.g salt, wheat flour, cornmeal) or adding dried truffle to other shelf stable ingredients (e.g.honey, olive oil). Products do not allow the growth of pathogenic microorganisms.

To minimize cross-contamination, the entire facility has been divided (ZONING) into non-production areas and basic GMP areas (cooking and assembly area). In addition, an environmental monitoring pragram is in place.

Now my questions:
- In your opinion, is it necessary to have an environmental monitoring program? If so, what microorganisms would you look for as pathogens (Salmonella) or indicators? I chose to look for indicator microorganisms (e.coli, aerobic plate counts, enterobacteriaceae, for zones 1,2,3,4);
- Would you perform swabbing during production (as for pathogens) or before the start of the shift?
Thaks a lot to all
Lino

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Practical steps for risk assessing Suppliers and Products within your supply chain Practical steps for risk assessing Suppliers and Products within your supply chain Practical steps for risk assessing Suppliers and Products within your supply chain BRC P. 3.5.1.1 - - Do I take into account radiological hazards when assessing risk Waitrose technical standard - assessing risk training
[Ad]

I disagree with your statement about ingredients being dry/shelf stable not allowing for pathogenic microorganisms.  Sure, dry ingredients are less likely to support growth, but pathogens can absolutely be present.  According to this report published by the FDA, p64 shows milled flour has the potential for Bacillus cereus, Clostridium botulinum, Pathogenic E. coli, Salmonella spp., and Listeria monocytogenes.  Draft Guidance for Industry Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Human Food: Appendix 1 (January 2024) (fda.gov)

I can also speak from experience in the spice industry: dehydrated vegetables and spices we processed would occasionally test positive for salmonella.  The spice plant had a sister company next store that specialized in dry steam and heat sterilization for dried goods (lots of herbs, teas, sometimes spices were heat treated).  Black pepper is pretty notorious for salmonella as well.  The operating owner for the sterilization side would routinely tell people that pathogens cannot exist if moisture levels are under about 7%, but our own tests on incoming product with those moisture levels would show dry ingredients with unacceptable levels of pathogens present.

As for tests and zoning, company I work for now does mostly cut fruit and veg with a couple plants also USDA inspected for meats.  We do random APC testing on zone 1 for cleaning verification, and Listeria tests for the zones 2, 3, and 4 (salmonella tests added for the meat plants).  The Listeria swabs are taken during routine operation.  For your program, I would recommend taking a closer look at the risks associated with your ingredients and determine if a pathogen is common to all or most and go for that one.

Hi jfrey,

thanks for coming back to me!  I didn't explain well. i'll try to do it.

For combination products I use truffle after a kill step, by drying it to an aw <0.65 (and well above listeria target 70°C for 2 min). I use the sterilized one as an alternative. I combine this ingredient (in small amounts) with other "dry/shelf stable" ingredients (that I buy) such as wheat flour, honey, olive oil, salt for the purpose of flavoring them.

Regarding the particular case of flavored flour, it is not an RTE product (unlike the others) but a ready-to-cook product.

Thank you

Now my questions:
- In your opinion, is it necessary to have an environmental monitoring program? If so, what microorganisms would you look for as pathogens (Salmonella) or indicators? I chose to look for indicator microorganisms (e.coli, aerobic plate counts, enterobacteriaceae, for zones 1,2,3,4);
- Would you perform swabbing during production (as for pathogens) or before the start of the shift?
Thaks a lot to all
Lino

You have RTE foods exposed to the environment -- yes, environmental monitoring should be occurring.  The organisms you list seem reasonable for mostly dry goods, but if you're performing wet sanitation procedures adding Listeria could be advisable.

Both.  Some should be after sanitation and before production (most non-contact zone samples), and some should be after production has been occurring for 2-4 hours (most contact zone samples).  This tells you both if your environment is harboring these organisms, and if your production activities are contaminating surfaces in such a way as to put product at risk.

I understand what you're defending here, and I would agree the product is low risk from what you describe.  I just wouldn't say the product does not allow for pathogen growth, especially as you combine it with non-RTE ingredients.

As for the need for EM programs, the point is to ensure your environment is not contributing to any pathogen risks.  For example when wet cleaning, the water used there can activate with any product residues on working surfaces, equipment exteriors and floors and lead to contamination risks.  Testing and monitoring of zone 2, 3, 4 areas serves to validate that your cleaning methods are sufficient to control the hazards that could come from the facility itself.  Due to my current company operating high risk environments, we test weekly.  IMO, once you have historical data to support your plant is well under control, you can justify reducing the frequency to monthly or even quarterly.

Now my questions: 
- In your opinion, is it necessary to have an environmental monitoring program?   There arent too many cases where I whould say that a EMP program in not necessary.   In your case I would have one.  

If so, what microorganisms would you look for as pathogens (Salmonella) or indicators? I chose to look for indicator microorganisms (e.coli, aerobic plate counts, enterobacteriaceae, for zones 1,2,3,4);

Salmonella makes sense to me

E. coli makes sense to me. 

enterobacteracea makes sense.   E.coli is an entobacteracea so, doing both might not make sense.    

aerobic plate count makes some sense.  IMO opinion they are usefull after sanitation to validate cleaning.   They are usefull to show how "dirty" equipment becomes over time to justify cleaning schedules, etc.   Not super usefull to determine a pass/fail situation for food safety as the limits are pretty arbitratry.  

Ideally both.   If before production is after a sanitation, it gives you indication that sanitation was effective.    Performing them during production gives you information on what is happening during the production process.     

To be honest, I cant quite figureout what your products and processes are - what risks you control, whats rte and whats not, what a sterilized product is, etc.   However, in general 0.65 will prevent the GROWTH of pathogenic bacteria.   It is not reliably bacterialcidal.  IMO

More importantly and widely misunderstood -  time temperature charts are for specific products.   Especially when you DRY products, all of the standard time temperature charts go out the window.  (and well above listeria target 70°C for 2 min)as you stated.   As you remove moisture, organims like salmonella become more heat resistant.   You most likely need to validate your thermal process.   

Salmonella spp. are bacteria that ordinarily are sensitive to heat and high acidity. This sensitivity is often the basis for food processing used to control the presence of the organism. For example, it takes only 3 seconds to achieve a 5-log reduction in Salmonella at 71 °C (equivalent to 160 °F) in fruit juices (Ref. 4).

While considered heat sensitive, Salmonella spp. can become heat resistant in dry food products such as powdered milk or in low water activity products like chocolate syrup and peanut butter (Refs. 5 and 6). The relationship of Salmonella heat resistance to water activity has been well-studied at water activities between 0.99 and 0.85. Generally, Salmonella becomes more heat resistant as the water activity of a food becomes lower (Refs. 7 and 8). For example, it takes less than 5 minutes to achieve a 5-log reduction of Salmonella at 140 °F in a food with a water activity of 0.99 (Ref. 9). However, it takes 50 minutes to achieve the same reduction of Salmonella at 140 °F in a food with a water activity of 0.85 (Ref. 10).

The influence of the food on the heat resistance of Salmonella is not limited to the effects of water activity. The composition of the food (such as fat content, protein content, and acidity) may also affect heat resistance. For example, it can take more than 6 hours to obtain a 5-log reduction of Salmonella in milk chocolate at a temperature of 194 °F and more than 30 hours to achieve the same log reduction at 160 °F (Ref. 5).

Hi kingstudruler1,

thank you (although late) for responding to me!

Regarding the process of drying the sliced truffles I can say that we have done tests and identified the time and temperature required to make the product microbiologically safe.

Instead, I have some doubts about environmental testing. Let me explain. If the target microorganisms in the environmental monitoring plan are spoilage  (also) microorganisms, how and when should they be searched for?  If the target microorganisms in the environmental monitoring plan are the spoilage microorganisms when and where should they be searched for zones 3 and 4? It is clear that if the target microorganisms were pathogens (listeria and salmonella) they should be searched for during work operations. But if pathogenic microorganisms (e.g., listeria) are not considered, should they still be looked for during work operations? Would it make sense to look for total Enterobacteriaceae on the floor or wall during work operations?

what do you think about?
Thenks a lot
Lino

Similar Discussion Topics
Practical steps for risk assessing Suppliers and Products within your supply chain Practical steps for risk assessing Suppliers and Products within your supply chain Practical steps for risk assessing Suppliers and Products within your supply chain BRC P. 3.5.1.1 - - Do I take into account radiological hazards when assessing risk Waitrose technical standard - assessing risk training BRC 5.3.2 - assessing the allergenic risk of items in vending machines Risk Assessing Positive Air pressure Risk assessing string as a potential foreign body implementation and controls. Methodology for assessing the Food Fraud Vulnerability BRC 2.2.6: HARA Assessing New Hazards - plastic caps, injection moulding