What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Ingredient List Question (FDA, USA)

Started by , Apr 05 2024 09:41 PM
7 Replies

Happy Friday everyone,

I have a question for those of us who are not yet enjoying the weekend.

For complex ingredient lists, I am capitalizing ingredients we use and using lowercase the letters for ingredients of ingredients.

ex: Soy Sauce (water, wheat, soybeans, salt)

There is one ingredient that contains sub-ingredients Chinese Peppers and Japanese Peppers.

I want to leave the country capitalized out of respect. What would you do?

ex: Sauce (water, vinegar, Chinese pepper, Japanese pepper) 

What do we think?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
INGREDIENT STATEMENT WHEN USING DRY FORM OF A INGREDIENT. Manufacturer Input form & Food Chain ID Standard Ingredient Form USA Ingredient List- "Rubbed with..." in list Water as an ingredient? Ingredient risk assesment
[Ad]

Out of respect?

That would be fine, I would be weary of using regional vernacular for ingredients. Use the most common market name to avoid misbranding issues. The FDA doesn't like creativity too much.

Food-Labeling-Guide-(PDF).pdf   8.53MB   17 downloads

Do you need to state the origin?  Why not just "peppers"?

1 Like

im not certain, but I dont think japanese or Chinese peppers are the "common" or "usual" name.  

Should the common or usual name always be used for ingredients? Answer: Always list the common or usual name for ingredients unless there is a regulation that provides for a different term. For instance, use the term “sugar” instead of the scientific name “sucrose.” “INGREDIENTS: Apples, Sugar, Water, and Spices” See also section 4 question 3. 21 CFR 101.4(a)

1 Like

The name "Chinese peppers" comes from a complex ingredient added to our product.
We just list the ingredients exactly as they are listed. Their words, not mine. 

Out of respect?

Was this a helpful comment? Not surprised you can't understand the concept.  :tired:

2 Likes

The name "Chinese peppers" comes from a complex ingredient added to our product.
We just list the ingredients exactly as they are listed. Their words, not mine. 

But you don't have to.  You have the choice to look into what the recipe is, talk to the supplier if needed and declare differently.  It will then probably fully resolve your problem on whether to capitalise the country or not if you don't need to declare it.  What's more is if there is a change in origin of the ingredients, it will necessitate a change in packaging.  So I'd always avoid putting anything on the pack i really don't need to.

But you don't have to.  You have the choice to look into what the recipe is, talk to the supplier if needed and declare differently.  It will then probably fully resolve your problem on whether to capitalise the country or not if you don't need to declare it.  What's more is if there is a change in origin of the ingredients, it will necessitate a change in packaging.  So I'd always avoid putting anything on the pack i really don't need to.

Thank you for the response. I have reached out to the supplier. 

We use it in such small quantities that it probably falls under 2%.

It's a huge project, but I am trying to stay ahead of it.

Many items haven't been made in years, but I want to check them all in case someone decides to bring something back.

Similar Discussion Topics
INGREDIENT STATEMENT WHEN USING DRY FORM OF A INGREDIENT. Manufacturer Input form & Food Chain ID Standard Ingredient Form USA Ingredient List- "Rubbed with..." in list Water as an ingredient? Ingredient risk assesment Non-food grade ingredient What is the requirement for damaged ingredient bags in dry storage area? How to control salt water brine as an ingredient? Product cooling (RTE) in an ingredient storage area Transportation of a frozen ingredient