• 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 April 2024 - 03:59 PM

Good morning all,

Quick question for anyone who may have been in a similar situation:

Our company makes candies.  A customer has contracted us to make product and packaging for school fundraisers. 

The boxes will have three slots, and the customer of the fundraiser will be able to select three packages of product to be included within the box. Some of the options for product to include weight 9oz and others weight 12oz. 

The total net weight of product within the box therefore may be (3*12=) 36oz or (2*12+9) = 33oz, or a number of other permutations.

I'm struggling with how to handle packaging net weight labeling.

I don't think this product would be exempt from FDA requirements -- It isn't exactly for retail sale, but it is greater than 0.5oz.  So FDA labeling rules apply, right?

Any suggestions on how to handle this?  We thought about stickers but that is untenable as the packages will ultimately be prepared and delivered by kids.

Would it be possible to label with a statement saying net weight varies and component packages are individually labeled with their weights?  I saw this suggested on an older topic but can't find a reg to back it up.

All input is appreciated!! Thank you

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,770 posts
  • 1157 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 04 April 2024 - 04:38 PM

We had a client that that had as their main product HONEY - secondary was Bees-wax candles.

They put the finished creased candles into boxes and showed on the box - the candle in this box should weigh 28 oz, however some candles may weigh more, but never less.

Works for them just fine.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 04 April 2024 - 04:40 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

CONSULTANT

https://t.me/MVIDigitalWarrior

Thanked by 1 Member:

skibum

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 April 2024 - 04:40 PM

Hi SQFconsultant.  Thanks for the reply.  Are you suggesting that we label the box with the lowest possible net weight permutation?  That seems off.. It would mean labeling the package as 27oz net weight, when many packages will be 36oz.  This seems like way too big of a variance.  Especially dealing with food and not candles..

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,770 posts
  • 1157 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 04 April 2024 - 09:18 PM

ROFL - sorry, I read your candies as candles - same thing applies though, not the weight but the wording, pick you own min weight. 

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

CONSULTANT

https://t.me/MVIDigitalWarrior

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 600 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 April 2024 - 03:09 PM

... suggesting that we label the box with the lowest possible net weight permutation?  That seems off.. It would mean labeling the package as 27oz net weight, when many packages will be 36oz.  This seems like way too big of a variance.  ...

Many food categories allow this.  You can have lots of giveaway, but can only be under by a small amount, and need to average equal or higher.

The exceptions where you can't be over by more than XYZ are typically either measured by volume or have quasi-medical properties like nutritional replacements or baby food.

NIST handbook 133 will have what you're looking for.

https://www.nist.gov...current-edition

Edited by G M, 08 April 2024 - 03:11 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users