• Quick Navigation
Photo

Retail Certification?

Share this

Best Answer , 03 April 2024 - 05:24 PM

I don't know that the retail code applies, as it states "Applies to the receipt, handling, storage, and display at retail level of stable or pre-processed and packaged foods and/or food intended for further preparation by the consumer."  The Food Manufacturing Code makes multiple references to customers and consumers alike, so I don't see any issues with web-based sales and distribution so long as you follow the rules on labeling and account for these sales in your traceability.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

acarver

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 April 2024 - 12:11 PM

Good morning. I am looking for some guidance, of course.

We primarily do packaging and distribution for wholesale, products coffee and tea, that are then placed into restaurants, hotels, c-stores, etc. Over the years, customers have requested products to purchase for home use, so we have a very limited number of options on our website. 

These purchases account for less than 1 percent of overall sales throughout the year. (Honestly, when we started certification process, I was so new to the company I didn't even know it was a thing.) 

Doing research on SQF, I find that there is a retail certification, 8.1 version, but all the clauses are currently being met in my 9.0 for food manufacturing. We do maintain traceability.

So, my question is, do I need to be doing something different with my current certification? I definitely do not want to get in trouble with my CB or SQF, and the less than 1% is not worth keeping to us if it is a big thing...

TIA!

Anita

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 599 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 April 2024 - 03:49 PM

There will be some difference in the declared scope or food safety code when you set up the inspection contract, but the standards you need to meet are unlikely to change. 

I'm guessing you don't make any label or advertising claims regarding your SQF certification to these retail customers?  That alone might extinguish concerns.

We have an onsite "store" for employees and none of the inspectors have bothered to more than glance at it.

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 729 posts
  • 197 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 April 2024 - 05:24 PM   Best Answer

I don't know that the retail code applies, as it states "Applies to the receipt, handling, storage, and display at retail level of stable or pre-processed and packaged foods and/or food intended for further preparation by the consumer."  The Food Manufacturing Code makes multiple references to customers and consumers alike, so I don't see any issues with web-based sales and distribution so long as you follow the rules on labeling and account for these sales in your traceability.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,770 posts
  • 1157 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:05 PM

1% - no need for any concern whatsoever.  Send coffee

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

CONSULTANT

https://t.me/MVIDigitalWarrior

acarver

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:15 PM

Thank you everyone! Pretty much what I was thinking but tend to overthink and then freak myself out...LOL.

A

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users