Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,918 posts
  • 738 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2024 - 04:11 AM

Let's face it, changing culture where you have senior management commitment is a piece of p--- but what if you don't? And, we all work there or have worked there.

A women I massively respect who has experience in this suggested bringing it back to money. And she's right the best companies for food safety and quality culture use it to sell more stuff. But... That's long term.

I'm seeing the rise of the carpet bagging boss in the UK. Common during times of economic crisis, this leader will last, say, two years in role. S/he will delay any spend to crisis point. Loosening the purse strings is like trying to get a McDonald's out of the hands of an adolescent. Impossible. They know it's not building the business for the long term, they know they're breaking people but they couldn't give a crap because there not going to be there to experience the consequences. They will get the profit plaudits then move on.

In such circumstances I won't on the level below knowing it will be less effective but at least it's something and try for the win / win. But any more ideas?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,703 posts
  • 1558 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 April 2024 - 11:56 AM

I don't believe you can change culture if the top of the pyramid doesn't see the value e.g. $$$$

Food Safety and the free market business model at constantly at odds and therefore the likelihood of meaningful change across the sector is unlikely

Folks at the top have ONE job (and to think otherwise is foolhardy), ensure the continued profitability

Business is business

So, if the business isn't in danger of losing customers OR enticing new ones, where is the need/desire to change what they do and how they do it?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

TylerJones

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 107 posts
  • 33 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 April 2024 - 02:14 PM

Hey GMO:

Seems like you are having difficulties at work with your last few posts. Don't let them bring you down!  If top management won't fix culture, you can! CAPEX for building repairs is different than improving your comapny culture. Run your policies and programs and set the tone for a culture you see fit, remove top management from culture. Trust me you can improve culture without spending any money.

How often do you talk to this boss on a regular basis?

There are 86,400 seconds in a day, don't let the 10 seconds he/she pisses you off ruin your day.

If you don't like change, you're going to like becoming irrelevant less. 

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 413 posts
  • 96 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 01 April 2024 - 03:30 PM

Been there and it happens.  My best advice is to keep your head on your shoulders and don't let them bring you down or cause you to doubt your worth, knowledge, etc.  I let it happened to me and it held me back a bit and shook my confidence.  Those who are not up to par always eventually get found out.  They cannot sustain it.  So just do what you have been continuing to do, follow what you know to be right and try to not let them get to you.

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 414 posts
  • 127 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 01 April 2024 - 06:02 PM

Food Safety and the free market business model are constantly at odds and therefore the likelihood of meaningful change across the sector is unlikely

Really it all comes down to this, and will -always- come down to this, forever.

• GMO likes this

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,918 posts
  • 738 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:22 PM

Interesting views all. Thank you.

But does it have to be this way? Really? Because if it is then every company putting out values statements is lying...

Perhaps I need to move to the charitable sector.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 694 posts
  • 135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:49 PM

...every company putting out values statements is lying...

Probably.

It's just like the "safety first" slogans and posters.  No, it isn't.  But being honest is rude -- telling the employees that some injuries and deaths are acceptable, so long as they cost less than the preventative measures.  (And that cost isn't just the insurance or lawsuits, its increased recruitment expenditure etc. when you get a bad rep as a dangerous place to work, and other indirect fallout)

If the people at the top don't at least pretend to take quality and safety seriously, then it is going to be an overwhelming uphill battle to get anyone to take it seriously.  

When it comes to supporting your arguments for more quality and safety measures or expenditures, its important to remember that our role is a lot like insurance.  The company spends money on safety and quality primarily to prevent bigger losses (and in a few cases to open new opportunities).  Setting tone, encouraging culture, and being a good example are all low cost measures to prevent bigger losses, and prospective customers and consumers get warm fuzzies when you fill all the boilerplate checkboxes.

Unfortunately some people's ego or laziness make them forget what the benefits of being a good leader are.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,918 posts
  • 738 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 April 2024 - 07:32 AM

Thanks everyone for your support and concern.

I'm actually going to see if I can get an assessment for neurodiversity.  A few people have suggested I may be on the autism or ADHD spectra.  Let's see...  But one of the symptoms of either can be rigidity of thinking.  And I cannot hammer it into my skull that there is room for a grey area on some of this.  

Take the Quaker case in the US which I wasn't aware of (thanks Scampi I think who shared it.)  I would be shooketh if they don't find somewhere down the line a QA Manager who can point to an audit saying "we raised this but were told we'd have to shut the plant too long / it would cost too much / we can't do it this year / it's still on the list and nobody has got back to me*"

* delete as applicable.

Pepsico own Quaker.  This is their code of conduct:

Global Code of Conduct (pepsico.com)

"Acting with integrity is the right thing to do, and only makes our business stronger"

Or look at another of the biggest food companies in the world.  Unilever.  Who recently messed up their packaging and had a public recall?  

Purpose, values & principles | Unilever

"Unilever is committed to providing branded products and services which consistently offer value in terms of price and quality, and which are safe for their intended use. Products and services will be accurately and properly labelled, advertised and communicated."

Now how did you end up with the wrong packaging if you resourced your systems to deliver on those aims...  :headhurts:

So is it my brain that's wrong or the food industry?

Perhaps we need something like "B Corp" a standard people could apply to "QFS Corp" if you will where there is a specified minimum percentage of profits which are put back into food safety and quality improvements?  But it's so easy to ignore what needs to be done for years if you want.

I brought this up recently in our leadership team.  The UK chilled food industry is full of plants which are 20, 25, 30 years old when chilled manufacturing exploded in the UK.  Over the years the money hasn't gone into repair and maintenance every year.  It's an easy thing to cut.  Over time, drains fail.  Walls fail, floors certainly fail.  I've even seen some plants (mostly not chilled thankfully) with "rain catchers" to divert roof leaks.  What is the plan to either really invest in these plants or build new?

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users