• Quick Navigation
Photo

What documents are required for audit when Sourcing ingredients from wholesaler?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

PPPP

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 December 2023 - 09:46 PM

We are trying to get GFSI certified for our dumpling production facility. And we source all the raw materials from wholesalers. What document do we need to have on file for SQF audit? Most of our ingredients are sourced from restaurant depot and when asking then for product specifications, they are not cooperating with us.

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 729 posts
  • 197 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 December 2023 - 10:21 PM

Distributors can suck when it comes to supplier approval requirements.  You'll often get "we don't own or make the material, we aren't giving you anything."  Those distributors get dislodged from our program pretty quickly.

Raw material specs are a must have: you can't prove anything about your product if you can't prove what you put into it.  We also keep letters of guarantee from our direct broker/distributors (often they'll just reference they have their own supplier approval program), and we seek GFSI audits and certificates from each supplier to the distributor for items we purchase.  If the distributor holds the product instead of just drop shipping it to us, we get their GFSI audit/certs as well.

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 406 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 15 December 2023 - 12:45 PM

Agree with jfrey a lot on this.  Distributors are horrible with this, not sure why companies continue to utilize them as many do not realizing they are getting the materials and packaging at a marked up rate to pay the sales people's salaries at the distributor.  Should be fairly easy to determine who they are getting their ingredients from.  I'd reach out to the actual supplier for docs and get some quotes as I bet your company can get direct from the supplier at a much cheaper cost.  

They do not want to provide any documents as they are afraid you'll do what I just mentioned, but by withholding providing documents you have no choice but to find direct suppliers.

PPPP

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 December 2023 - 11:41 PM

Distributors can suck when it comes to supplier approval requirements.  You'll often get "we don't own or make the material, we aren't giving you anything."  Those distributors get dislodged from our program pretty quickly.

Raw material specs are a must have: you can't prove anything about your product if you can't prove what you put into it.  We also keep letters of guarantee from our direct broker/distributors (often they'll just reference they have their own supplier approval program), and we seek GFSI audits and certificates from each supplier to the distributor for items we purchase.  If the distributor holds the product instead of just drop shipping it to us, we get their GFSI audit/certs as well.

Is it a must for a SQF audit? Do you recommend changing the supplier? What other documents are required besides the product specification?

Edited by PPPP, 15 December 2023 - 11:47 PM.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,283 posts
  • 1307 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 16 December 2023 - 03:38 AM

Hi PPPP,

The contact information for the manufacturer should be on the packaging. I would contact them, explain that you are purchasing their product from a wholesaler and ask them for a specification.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 729 posts
  • 197 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 December 2023 - 05:16 PM

Is it a must for a SQF audit? Do you recommend changing the supplier? What other documents are required besides the product specification?

Yes, raw material specifications are a must:

2.3.2.2 Specifications for all raw materials and packaging, including, but not limited to, ingredients, additives, hazardous chemicals, processing aids, and packaging that impact finished product safety shall be documented and kept current.

Other documents will depend on your program, as in what have you determined must be monitored and agreed to by suppliers.  We have a slew of documents we make suppliers fill out in order to fulfill our legal and customer requirements, and SQF will check to make sure you are following your own program, whatever it may be. Say what you do, and do what you say.

At a bare minimum, SQF requires us to either audit our suppliers or obtain records of their audits (generally any GFSI audit gets the nod from auditors):

2.3.4.1 The responsibility and procedure for selecting, evaluating, approving, and monitoring an approved supplier shall be documented and implemented. A current record of approved suppliers, receiving inspections, and supplier audits shall be maintained.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 441 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 18 December 2023 - 07:06 PM

It doesn't matter who supply you with ingredients, distributors/wholesalers or manufacturers: it's their responsibility to provide you with all necessary information about the products they supply you with as per regulatory requirements. That's what I always say to those who refuse to provide info. I'm also adding that in case of CFIA inspection, I'll report all their refusals.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users