What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Compressed air nonconformance for no records

Started by , Dec 14 2023 04:16 PM
8 Replies

hi everyone,

we got non-conformance during sqf audit. 

"The site uses the compressed air as a direct food contact (to pen the direct food contact packaging), no air compressor maintainance records are available to review."

we use husky air compressor, does simple change of air filter and maintenance suffice corrective action?

what should be corrective action for this?

Thank You.

regards,

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Compressed Air Testing for Non-Food Contact Compressed Air Risk Assessment and Hazard Analysis Compressed Air Monitoring - Common Sources of Contamination Compressed Air Monitoring - Common Sources of Contamination Compressed Air Monitoring - Common Sources of Contamination
[Ad]

You're going to need to get the air tested as well I'm afraid.

1 Like1 Thank

You'll need a root cause as to why you weren't handling the air properly to begin with.  For a CA, an updated program should include adding the compressor to the PM list (and doing the PM's), some type of filtration for the air at the point of use (filtering at the compressor isn't helpful as the compressor itself contaminates the air), and routine testing of the air at the source to make sure it isn't contaminating the packaging (oils, condensate water, and microbiological as well).

From SQF definitions:

Compressed Air Monitoring: A program that includes particles, water, oil, microbiological, and relevant gaseous testing in compressed air or other gases. A verification of the effectiveness of compressor maintenance and filtration that a management facility has in place.

I'd also make sure compressed air makes its way onto your HACCP plan.  You're using the air as a processing aid to do a job, and it has direct affect on final product safety.  I'd list it in the flow chart going into the packaging step, then add it to the HA and complete the B/C/P/R categories to make sure you've covered the recognized risks.

1 Like1 Thank

You're going to need to get the air tested as well I'm afraid.

regular air testing and/or air from compressed air?

Before I focus on air compressor testing, I have a question - actually two...

1. Quote the code # the auditor gig'd you for.

2. Are we talking PM here?

And maybe 3rd ?....

Were you written up for not running the required air testing or just maintenance?

1 Thank
11.5.5.2 The site uses the compressed air as a direct food contact (to open the direct food contact packaging), no air compressor maintenance records are available to review.

I propose the following corrective action plan: 1. Conduct an immediate inspection of the air compressor system to identify any potential sources of contamination or breaches in the system. 2. Engage a qualified technician to service and clean the air compressor, ensuring it meets the required standards for food safety. 3. Implement a regular maintenance schedule for the air compressor, including routine inspections, cleaning, and servicing as per the manufacturer's recommendations. 4. Establish a system for recording and documenting all maintenance activities related to the air compressor, including dates, tasks performed, and technician's details. 5. Train relevant staff members on the importance of maintaining the air compressor system and the potential risks associated with its improper maintenance. 6. Implement a system for regular monitoring of the air quality in the areas where food is prepared or stored, to ensure that contamination risks are minimized.

1 Thank

You'll need as others mentioned above a documented PM for the air compressors.  You can probably get who supplied the compressors to perform this for you and send documents.  Also need to document the size of your filters and then perform compressed air testing.  Google compressed air testing and you'll find the company that supplies the kit for testing and can easily then test it for you.  It is not too bad cost wise, I think around $250.  This should cover you going forward.  I know they wrote you up for no PM specifically, but not sure how you would still get around not testing the compressed air, so I would just do it.

1 Thank

You can get a kit from the lab that connects to the air line from the compressor to be analyzed.  I would suggest you should be doing that annually as well as adding in PM's for the compressor and filters and air lines

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Compressed Air Testing for Non-Food Contact Compressed Air Risk Assessment and Hazard Analysis Compressed Air Monitoring - Common Sources of Contamination Compressed Air Monitoring - Common Sources of Contamination Compressed Air Monitoring - Common Sources of Contamination Compressed Air TPC limits What does SQF require one to test in the compressed air that has indirect contact with food? Establishing Limits for Compressed Air Testing Compressed air testing needed? What are acceptable limits for compressed air testing for raw frozen beef steaks?