What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Shelf life testing of beef and chicken donair meat

Started by , Oct 27 2023 06:45 PM
5 Replies

Hi,

We are producing beef and chicken donair meat (raw as well as cooked). All these products are shipped frozen to the customer. the Donair meat which is raw is usually in the form of cones (as you would see on vertical donair grills) does not need to be thawed since it would start losing its shape but the cooked meat needs to thawed. Expected shelf life is 2 years

My question is how should i determine their shelf life? Should i do microbial and sensory testing at different intervals?

Please advice

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Shelf Life Study Seeking Advice and Resources for Conducting Shelf Life Studies in Seafood Quality Control Average Shelf Life of Beef Primals Frozen Vacuum Packed Deforested meat products shelf life label requirements Sensory Evaluation for Accelerated Shelf Life
[Ad]

There are two ways:

1. Store the product in freezer and analyzed on 0 day, 6 month, 12 month, 18 month & 24 month. Sample should be of same lot or batch.

2. Store the product at accelerated condition (40°C & 75% Relative Humidity) and analyzed on 0 day, 2 month, 4 month, 6 month & 8 month.

The parameters needs to check are:

1. Colour

2. Flavour

3. pH

4. Microbiological

There are two ways:

1. Store the product in freezer and analyzed on 0 day, 6 month, 12 month, 18 month & 24 month. Sample should be of same lot or batch.

2. Store the product at accelerated condition (40°C & 75% Relative Humidity) and analyzed on 0 day, 2 month, 4 month, 6 month & 8 month.

The parameters needs to check are:

1. Colour

2. Flavour

3. pH

4. Microbiological

Hi Mohammed Zameeruddin,

:uhm:  :uhm:  :uhm:

I fail to see what accelerated condition (40°C & 75% Relative Humidity) at 2 months, 4 months, 6 months & 8 months would achieve? Did you mean holding product at 40°C for 2 months, 4 months, 6 months & 8 months? Or something else?

Kind regards,

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes we need to keep the same batch product at 40°C for 2 months, 4 months, 6 months & 8 months and also maintaining the relative humidity 75%. This condition can be achieved in Stability Chambers.

Hi Tony,

Yes we need to keep the same batch product at 40°C for 2 months, 4 months, 6 months & 8 months and also maintaining the relative humidity 75%. This condition can be achieved in Stability Chambers.

Hi Mohommed,

Thank you for your reply, I cant keep the product at 40 C, since the product would start losing its shape and its a raw meat product, it will lead to high microbial growth in a very short period of time.

I would reach out to the lab your planning on using and ask them

Sounds like the perfect candidate for accelerated shelf life testing----meant to replicate a longer period of time controlled by adjustments made in a chamber

Similar Discussion Topics
Shelf Life Study Seeking Advice and Resources for Conducting Shelf Life Studies in Seafood Quality Control Average Shelf Life of Beef Primals Frozen Vacuum Packed Deforested meat products shelf life label requirements Sensory Evaluation for Accelerated Shelf Life Accelerated Shelf-Life Study Testing for Shelf-life of Vital Wheat Gluten Shelf Life of Primary Packaging Cause of condensation in shelf stable dressing cup Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing