• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 October 2023 - 06:45 PM

Hi,

We are producing beef and chicken donair meat (raw as well as cooked). All these products are shipped frozen to the customer. the Donair meat which is raw is usually in the form of cones (as you would see on vertical donair grills) does not need to be thawed since it would start losing its shape but the cooked meat needs to thawed. Expected shelf life is 2 years

My question is how should i determine their shelf life? Should i do microbial and sensory testing at different intervals?

Please advice

MOHAMMED ZAMEERUDDIN

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 296 posts
  • 62 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Sharing the Knowledge

Posted 28 October 2023 - 04:43 AM

There are two ways:

1. Store the product in freezer and analyzed on 0 day, 6 month, 12 month, 18 month & 24 month. Sample should be of same lot or batch.

2. Store the product at accelerated condition (40°C & 75% Relative Humidity) and analyzed on 0 day, 2 month, 4 month, 6 month & 8 month.

The parameters needs to check are:

1. Colour

2. Flavour

3. pH

4. Microbiological

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,336 posts
  • 1316 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 30 October 2023 - 03:55 AM

There are two ways:

1. Store the product in freezer and analyzed on 0 day, 6 month, 12 month, 18 month & 24 month. Sample should be of same lot or batch.

2. Store the product at accelerated condition (40°C & 75% Relative Humidity) and analyzed on 0 day, 2 month, 4 month, 6 month & 8 month.

The parameters needs to check are:

1. Colour

2. Flavour

3. pH

4. Microbiological

Hi Mohammed Zameeruddin,

:uhm:  :uhm:  :uhm:

I fail to see what accelerated condition (40°C & 75% Relative Humidity) at 2 months, 4 months, 6 months & 8 months would achieve? Did you mean holding product at 40°C for 2 months, 4 months, 6 months & 8 months? Or something else?

Kind regards,

Tony

MOHAMMED ZAMEERUDDIN

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 296 posts
  • 62 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Sharing the Knowledge

Posted 30 October 2023 - 04:37 AM

Hi Tony,

Yes we need to keep the same batch product at 40°C for 2 months, 4 months, 6 months & 8 months and also maintaining the relative humidity 75%. This condition can be achieved in Stability Chambers.

parth3302

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 October 2023 - 05:00 PM

Hi Tony,

Yes we need to keep the same batch product at 40°C for 2 months, 4 months, 6 months & 8 months and also maintaining the relative humidity 75%. This condition can be achieved in Stability Chambers.

Hi Mohommed,

Thank you for your reply, I cant keep the product at 40 C, since the product would start losing its shape and its a raw meat product, it will lead to high microbial growth in a very short period of time.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,660 posts
  • 1550 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 October 2023 - 07:01 PM

I would reach out to the lab your planning on using and ask them

Sounds like the perfect candidate for accelerated shelf life testing----meant to replicate a longer period of time controlled by adjustments made in a chamber

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users