What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Control of Yeast and Mold in Ambient Filled Shelf Stable Dressing without Preservatives

Started by , Oct 11 2023 04:50 PM
3 Replies

Hello, I work for a Acidified Foods plant. We have been receiving several inquires for ambient filled and shelf stable dressings, mayo's and spreads without chemical preservatives. 

I have looked at several dressings and mayo's currently on the market and there are several without the typical chemical preservatives such as Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate. But, how is spoilage controlled in these products? 

We have been experimenting with CytoGUARDS for Yeast and Mold inhibitors, but I also have not found much research or information on these products as well. Besides from the company itself. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Many Thanks, Jessie

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SQF Requirements - Pest Control Process Control methods What are some effective scoring methods and control measures for a raw material risk assessment in a food manufacturing facility? What allergen labeling requirements apply to portion control packages for salad bars? Seeking Advice and Resources for Conducting Shelf Life Studies in Seafood Quality Control
[Ad]

Some spreads could be using high pressure processing (HPP). For this, you would need HPP appropriate packaging and a validation that the time/pressure you are using effectively controls your target organisms. Most businesses will send out their product to be processed rather than dealing with all that equipment in house. 

I'm not an expert on HPP, but I feel like it may mess up the structure of mayo...for mayo based things, you'd probably just need to adjust your formula to have the ideal pH and aW. Search FDA Time and Temperature Control Table B. Interaction of pH and Aw for control of vegetative cells and spores in FOOD not heat-treated or heat-treated and not PACKAGED.

Last idea, "cleaner" sounding preservatives like rosemary extract. 

And then of course, all refrigerated after opening. Without preservatives your shelf life may be reduced as well so it would be good to do a study. 

1 Like1 Thank

If it is acidified, your formulation should be the control.  What does your process authority recommend?

1 Like1 Thank

If it is acidified, your formulation should be the control.  What does your process authority recommend?

Thanks for your response! 

Its technically not Acidified it is Acid Formulated as this follows dressing standard of identity, so it does not require a process review. Though I do usually submit for process review regardless.

But I have yet to find a process reviewer that would approve any ambient filled dressing using anything but the standard chemical preservatives such as Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate. BUT there are several shelf stable dressings in the market without the conventional chemical preservatives. 

Similar Discussion Topics
SQF Requirements - Pest Control Process Control methods What are some effective scoring methods and control measures for a raw material risk assessment in a food manufacturing facility? What allergen labeling requirements apply to portion control packages for salad bars? Seeking Advice and Resources for Conducting Shelf Life Studies in Seafood Quality Control What are the recommended CCP'S for hazard control on bone-in vs. boneless chicken in a small restaurant? Document Control and Consolidating Documents Chilling & Freezing Time and Temperature Control... Legislation? Pest control in pharmaceutical warehouse Preventive control forms