• IFSQN Member
  • 80 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 August 2023 - 04:17 PM

Hi All, 

I was trying to find a standard bt couldn't so I'm asking for help. We sell retail ready packaged product to our customers in cases. The product inside the case has a label with nfp and nutrition statement. The retailers pull the product from the cases and stock their grocery/bakery shelves with them. Our current practice is to have the ingredient statemet on the case, along with other information: case weight, item code, UPC, allergens.... 

My question is: is the ingredient statement required to be on the case when the case is filled with retail ready product? I know it will be necessary if the inner product has no label or is being sold in bulk, my question is specific to retail ready product where it is not being sold to the end user in the case and only the ingredient statement, I understand that the rest of the information is important. 

Thanks in advance for your feedback. 

~Polly 

Kara S.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 177 posts
  • 51 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 August 2023 - 05:21 PM

Kind regards, 

Kara

Food & Beverage Industry Consultant

IFSQN Business ListingLinkedIn  |  Webpage

PollyKBD

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 80 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 August 2023 - 05:46 PM

Thanks, I'll look into it. I read over it before but could not find the pertinent information. :)

Edited by PollyKBD, 23 August 2023 - 05:51 PM.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 600 posts
  • 116 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 August 2023 - 06:10 PM

... Our current practice is to have the ingredient statemet on the case, along with other information: case weight, item code, UPC, allergens.... 

My question is: is the ingredient statement required to be on the case when the case is filled with retail ready product? ... my question is specific to retail ready product where it is not being sold to the end user in the case and only the ingredient statement, I understand that the rest of the information is important. 

Which agency(ies) are you regulated by?  They each have their own labeling requirements.

I'm guessing FDA because you don't mention the mark of inspection, which is required on USDA shipping containers as well as retail units.

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 901 posts
  • 300 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 August 2023 - 10:43 PM

the ingredient statement does not have to be on the outer case.  (usa)

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

PollyKBD

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 80 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 August 2023 - 01:14 PM

Which agency(ies) are you regulated by?  They each have their own labeling requirements.

I'm guessing FDA because you don't mention the mark of inspection, which is required on USDA shipping containers as well as retail units.

Yes, sorry, FDA. 

Gelato Quality Lead

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 August 2023 - 04:13 PM

Based on the cited requirements, our outer case labels have UPC code, company name, product name, product flavor, quantity, and lot code (expiration date).

Fishlady

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 54 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 September 2023 - 09:49 PM

This question comes up all the time. From what I've been able to find, all that is required for a master case is the product description, packed by/packed for, and net weight.

PollyKBD

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 80 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 September 2023 - 12:14 PM

Thank you all for your feedback. This will definitely streamline our label creation and updates.

Does anyone have any insight on foodservice master cases? I'm assuming these will need an ingredient statement since the inner packages do not have anything like that. Just figured I'd ask to be sure.  :smile:

Fishlady

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 54 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 September 2023 - 03:15 PM

Foodservice cases could be handled the same way as other master case labels.  Some foodservice distributors do require compliance with retail regulations, though, so you may want to check with your customer.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users