What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

California Food Business Registration

Started by , Aug 09 2023 05:56 AM
8 Replies

Hello, 

This is more of a question for California people but if someone else has an answer I appreciate it.

If you manufacture food in Cali do you HAVE to be registered with The Food and Drug Branch (FDB)? We manufacture frozen deserts and baked goods.

This is what I got from the website (below) which I KNOW has the answer but I ask because the President of the company I work for says he's never heard of this so he's not paying for it lol (sometimes makes me feel like I'm crazy and have to quadruple check information because his beliefs and opinions are what things really are :doh: )

Processed Food Registration
The Food and Drug Branch (FDB) regulates the manufacture, processing, storage and distribution of food products in California.  California law requires that businesses obtain an FDB license, certificate or registration for these activities.  

Processors of general food commodities (e.g. baked goods, noodles, processed fresh vegetables, seafood, snack foods, dietary supplements, etc.) must obtain a Processed Food Registration (PFR) from FDB.  A PFR certificate is a firm’s basic health permit.  The PFR allows firms to manufacture products not specifically covered by another FDB license.  

PFR certificates are also required for general food warehouses.  Warehouses storing molluscan shellfish and organic food products must also obtain a specific certificate or registration for these activities.

Thank you!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
California restriction changes Hello from Sunny Southern California California Prop 65- Mercury Allowable Limits? Non Cage Free Dried Egg Whites in California Any new regulation in California for peanuts?
[Ad]

Do you sell in other states or countries. What are you making.

Selling within CA - you do need a CA food license. If selling across state lines, online to other states included - USDA or FDA registration is required. 

I'm impressed the company hasn't been caught yet. 

Another question - have you ever been inspected. 

...I ask because the President of the company I work for says he's never heard of this so he's not paying for it ...

I think that's how some companies end up being forced to make their first recall -- the authorities find out you exist and have been selling food without registration or inspection.

You have to register with the CA Dept of Public Health (CDPH) for the Processed Food Registration (PFR).  Like others have said its impressive that your operations haven't been caught/flagged yet. For a marginal fee and a few pages of an application this is not an exhaustive exercise to meet CA requirements.  There is also an Organic Processed Food Registration on top of the PFR from CDPH if you produce certified organic products.  The PFR essentially acts as a permit to operate similar to an FDA or USDA registration, just within CA state lines.  No registration means your operation could be set for legal issues and/or a recall.  

2 Likes1 Thank

Do you sell in other states or countries. What are you making.

Selling within CA - you do need a CA food license. If selling across state lines, online to other states included - USDA or FDA registration is required. 

I'm impressed the company hasn't been caught yet. 

Another question - have you ever been inspected. 

Other states yes. We manufacture bakery goods for retail and food service. 

We do sell within CA. The facility is FDA registered just not with the Food & Drug Branch in CA which is what I am asking about. 

We had a health inspector ask for this license a few months back but the owners fought back saying that no one had ever asked for this license and that they didn't need it but I started looking into it and I told them that for ME they did need it!

We have been FDA inspected once and they didn't ask for this license. A health inspector comes regularly and they had never asked for it either up until this last inspection we had. 

I think that's how some companies end up being forced to make their first recall -- the authorities find out you exist and have been selling food without registration or inspection.

The facility is FDA registered just not registered with the state of CA which I assume would maybe call for a recall too? Not sure.

You have to register with the CA Dept of Public Health (CDPH) for the Processed Food Registration (PFR).  Like others have said its impressive that your operations haven't been caught/flagged yet. For a marginal fee and a few pages of an application this is not an exhaustive exercise to meet CA requirements.  There is also an Organic Processed Food Registration on top of the PFR from CDPH if you produce certified organic products.  The PFR essentially acts as a permit to operate similar to an FDA or USDA registration, just within CA state lines.  No registration means your operation could be set for legal issues and/or a recall.  

Hi Wilson.

Thanks for this info it is what I was looking for. like I mentioned above, the facility is registered with FDA but not with the state of CA and since no one has ever brought it up they think they don't need it. I did my job by letting them know and the rest is up to them. 

SQF auditor asked for our PFR during the last audit. Blank look on all of our faces. We are FDA registered. Suggested we get a PFR so as to avoid any legal issues and not get our California business license suspended. We went ahead and obtained one. Learn something new every day. 

1 Like

SQF auditor asked for our PFR during the last audit. Blank look on all of our faces. We are FDA registered. Suggested we get a PFR so as to avoid any legal issues and not get our California business license suspended. We went ahead and obtained one. Learn something new every day. 

Glad you were able to get this situated.  Best of luck moving forward!  

Similar Discussion Topics
California restriction changes Hello from Sunny Southern California California Prop 65- Mercury Allowable Limits? Non Cage Free Dried Egg Whites in California Any new regulation in California for peanuts? Food Labeling Training Basics - California Department of Public Health Seeking Retort Cannery on West-Coast (California?) Polystyrene Laws and Regulations - California Wax Cardboard Recycling/Composting California California Coffee Could be Exempt from Cancer Warnings