• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do I require metal detector for SQF audit?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Estrellita3

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Peru
    Peru

Posted 29 June 2023 - 10:40 PM

Hi,

I am working on implementing manuals for SQF first desk audit for an small company. The line has filters (Product is filter twice). Do i required metal detector to pass SQF? Will the auditor fail us if we do not have one? If I buy one metal detector for a beverage (drink) juice will that need to be installed in the pipe or It is better after the bottle is cap?

Thank you for your responses in advance.

KellyQA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 June 2023 - 02:57 AM

What are your filtering requirements? Is there any potential that metal can be introduced after the filtering, but before final packaging?
The FDA's Health Hazard Evaluation Board states that, “metal fragments 0.3 inch–1 inch (7mm–25mm) in length are unacceptable if found in any products.”

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 410 posts
  • 95 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 30 June 2023 - 10:49 AM

It all depends on your risks with your product and process.  Follow the steps of HACCP, know the product and know the process.  Follow it through. 

Also, I am pretty sure the first SQF audit is no longer separated with a desk audit and then a month later a facility audit.  It has been combined into one to mimic the recertification audits.  Just wanted to say that so that you are prepared for a full audit.

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 759 posts
  • 207 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 June 2023 - 03:42 PM

Metal detection is not an automatic SQF requirement.  Your own risk analysis and HACCP are what determine if you need a CCP in place.  Sounds like you do some sort of beverage, and while I've never worked in a bev processor, my understanding is most of them use filtration as a CCP (which means you'll need to check that those filters are intact at a determined frequency and have a validation that the filters prevent the contamination you are concerned with).  Combined with something to prevent FM from entering the cans or bottles you're filling, whether or not you need MD in this process depends entirely on your risk assessment of your equipment.

• G M likes this

Estrellita3

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Peru
    Peru

Posted 30 June 2023 - 05:23 PM

Thank you for all the responses here on this. very kind and neat responses. I have to come back and check the risk assessment.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users