• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can an auditor raise a non-conformance on an issue identified during your internal audit?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

joelchenda

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Zambia
    Zambia

Posted 25 June 2023 - 11:15 AM

Hi all

We are FSSC V5.1 FSMS certifified and we are having a recertification audit in just a few days.Just want to clear my thougths  on this one, can an auditor raise a non-conformance on an issue you have already identified during your internal audit but have not closed it because it is not due for closing.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,833 posts
  • 1161 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Home now on Martha's Vineyard Island/Republic of these United States

Posted 25 June 2023 - 07:17 PM

As an Auditor it would fully depend upon how you wrote it up, is there a written note in place as to what you intend to do, if structural has the area been designated, is their a purchase order in place or some other form of proof that you are actively working on closing it out - as in I will want to see evidence and your actions.

It might surprise you that I have had companies that did their internal audit within a week of me coming in for the sole purpose of attempting a delay and would try to snow ball me with verbal plans or inform me because they were in process on close out that I could not do a non conformance.

Bottom line, do the evidence and be ready to show proof .

Keep in mind that if the same issue appeared on previous internal aydits there is very little chance of not getting a non conformance.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 25 June 2023 - 07:17 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC

Consulting on: SQF Food Safety System Development, Implementation & Certification

eConsultant Retainer | Internal Auditor Training | Corrective Action Avoidance | XRP & XLM

Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard Island, Massachussetts

Republic of these United States (restored)

www.GlennOster.com | 774.563.6161 | glenn@glennoster.com

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,339 posts
  • 1316 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 26 June 2023 - 06:01 AM

Hi Joel,

It is still a non-conformance if you haven't fixed it. The auditor will take into account your proposed action but if it is a critical or major non-conformance then I would be doing everything possible to get it put right before your audit.

Kind regards,

Tony

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 759 posts
  • 206 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 June 2023 - 02:28 PM

^^^ What they said.  Having a NC documented prior to an audit is a huge step, and you get to use it to prove your system is effective at identifying NC's.  But any auditor worth their salt is going to go through your analysis and CAP with a fine tooth comb.  If they suspect you're stalling on it or identify the CAP isn't strong enough, they'll still mark it in the audit.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users