What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Migration test for flour packaging

Started by , Mar 27 2023 10:31 AM
3 Replies

Hello,

We are producing packaging for flour and starch

There is any specific migration test for our product? Or we can ask for the usual one ( for liquids, alcohol, fats, acids)

Regards

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Migration Testing for Food Packaging in Brazil Specific Migration testing and the alternative - screening method Requesting migration reports from packaging suppliers Migration Testing of Bulk Containers for the Food Industry Type of migration test suitable to test on repeat used of HDPE Plastic for steaming
[Ad]

Sorry i mean flour not floor! typing mistake 

From memory, there is a migration test for simulating dry ('non-aqueous') solid foods.  We conducted one for a client years ago.  The food we wanted to simulate was whole wheat grains and the storage was long term. 

The lab used (from memory) some sort of resin bead as the simulant and put the food contact material (packaging) inside a beaker full of the beads.  They then performed an extraction on the resin beads to compare against legal migration limits. 

We used Intertek in Hong Kong at the time but I'm not sure if that lab is still doing that type of test.  Bear in mind that because flour has a long shelf life you should specify the duration of the test to be quite a long time - weeks not hours - this means you won't be able to get results quickly. 

Fascinating, I had always wondered how a migration test should be done when the food matrix is dry :)

Thanks for sharing Karen. 

1 Like

Similar Discussion Topics
Migration Testing for Food Packaging in Brazil Specific Migration testing and the alternative - screening method Requesting migration reports from packaging suppliers Migration Testing of Bulk Containers for the Food Industry Type of migration test suitable to test on repeat used of HDPE Plastic for steaming Labs in the US to perform Migration testing on water bottles Food Contact Label Migration Test Lab Recommendation Packaging migration test for freeze food Migration testing of packaging Migration Test for Paper Towels