Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 March 2023 - 07:59 PM

We sell frozen croissants- What Microorganisms do you test in your environmental program ? and what zones do you test if you dont sell any ready to eat product?

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 407 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 07 March 2023 - 08:28 PM

Years ago when I worked at a frozen baked good site, we swabbed in all four zones, the difference was the number of swabs taken in each zone.  Zone 1 had the most swabs taken and zone 4 the least.  We identified points to swab in each zone and then based on the number of swabs to do in each zone quarterly, we randomly selected which points to swab in each zone (making sure each identified points were swabbed at least yearly).  You have to build your program as you see fit and ensuring it is in compliance with what you are following.

As far as what to check for, I believe we did, Listeria, Salmonella, APC, yeast and molds and E. Coli.  That would be based on your product and the microorganisms of concern.

Hope that somewhat helps.  Though there are far more people on here with way more experience with Canadian guidelines.  (I worked for a US plant)

Thanked by 1 Member:

jkaurUC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 March 2023 - 08:46 PM

We test zones 3 and 4 only for listeria as of now , because our risk assessment saying as our product needs to be fully baked by the consumer , we dont need to test for Zones 1 and 2.

During our last FSSC audit, the audit mentioned to include zones 1 and 2 for spoilage organisms and Also add salmonella for zones 3 and 4.

I dont think I need for Zone 1, because we dont have any RTE product. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5669 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 March 2023 - 06:00 AM

We test zones 3 and 4 only for listeria as of now , because our risk assessment saying as our product needs to be fully baked by the consumer , we dont need to test for Zones 1 and 2.

During our last FSSC audit, the audit mentioned to include zones 1 and 2 for spoilage organisms and Also add salmonella for zones 3 and 4.

I dont think I need for Zone 1, because we dont have any RTE product. 

Hi jkaur,

I wondered why you decided to ignore Zone 2 ?.

The Product, haccp-based consumer risk from environmental L.mono/Salmonella is presumably negligible. Suggests the EMPG is informative  rather than "mandatory". What does FSSC say (if anything) about EMPG necessities in such a seemingly Low Risk situation ? (From a very quick Google  I could not see any CFIA interest in EMPG for Low Risk Product Manufacturing Facilities ?)

I speculate that this can be one "trade-off" in using Generic-type Standards - audit-wise, they may sometimes accept  less demanding responses than Prescriptive Standards require and other times the reverse. OP may be an example of the latter consequence, ie auditor is choosing to maximise effort/protection but which may/may not be based on their audit evaluation of your Facility's / Products's Risk Status.

If you do not wish to challenge the audit proposals, you cud implement the audit suggestions then rapidly accumulate negative data sufficient to justify cessation (this may not be trivial for Listeria if a positive baseline exists). Alternatively you could Risk assess your situation and challenge if your opinions are contrary to those of auditor. (if the audit comments were merely "suggestions" they can also be presumably, quietly, ignored).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

jkaurUC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 March 2023 - 12:44 PM

The fact that we dont sell any RTE, we werent doing zone 2.

Auditor didn't say anything about EMPG necessities out loud, but kind of slightly suggested ( as we sell our product to states )

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users