What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Bulk density - Master Specification creation

Started by , Jan 26 2023 01:46 PM
7 Replies

Hi all,

I am after your expertise to check on the understanding for obtaining the tolerances for a Master spec for Bulk density. The raw material in question is in Powder form and can be supplied by multiple suppliers. The aim is to ensure a specification is available when sourcing from new suppliers. I already know that current bulk density spec range is to broad so I need to come up with a logic to tighten the spec ( a lower density = float more and struggle to fit the required weight into pack, a higher density = sinks in easily and OK during packing)

Options:

1. Do I collect bulk density figures tested on-site from raw materials and compare against the chemistry macro tolerances to confirm what needs to go on the master spec?  
  2. Should I use the suppliers Bulk Density figures from their specification to decide the tolerances ( we have multiple suppliers and every supplier has a min-max range which varies)

To be noted: Supplier are using an industry standard approved method, so then we know all suppliers measure the same way. We are also looking to implement an internal method to match this standard so we can test at intake and verify the bulk density for each delivery.

"My point of view; I'd say I need to have this based upon supplier specs, internal testing data could jeopardy supply chain eg. if testing has been done and comes out on figures on the upper level of existing suppliers’ tolerance, and then these are applied, we'd be rejecting all batches falling outside of this, even though they're perfectly acceptable and within the expected variation for that product. I'd also say that supplier would likely not amend product density based upon our results"

Would be great to hear your thoughts. I am based in UK . Thank you 😊

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
'Topping up' - bulk commodities and traceability Bulk raw material receiving and traceability Migration Testing of Bulk Containers for the Food Industry How do you keep traceability of bulk flour? Shelf life of sunflower oil in bulk or in silos
[Ad]

Have you had any instances were an otherwise acceptable within-spec batch caused trouble during packaging?

If not, the plan you outlined makes total sense.

Have you had any instances were an otherwise acceptable within-spec batch caused trouble during packaging?

If not, the plan you outlined makes total sense.

Thanks for your input.

Yes, we had instances where we couldn't pack, but we didn't measure the density at the time, therefore we don't know what's acceptable and what's not acceptable since we did not capture any historic data. We are just starting now.

All I know is that I have to create a specification and tighten the range and need to have a logic behind it, even if I follow my plan, I review supplier min and max range, and would let's say go from 0.3-0.6  to  0.4-0.6 purely based on knowing that the higher the density the better. 

If you have the option, I would upsize the packaging to ensure the product is more likely to fit.

Otherwise, I'd compare the bulk density to the ease of packaging by doing continuous trend analysis of the data so when you get packaging problems again, you have data to back up your claim. and tighten the range then.

1 Like1 Thank

Hi Shuhalox,

From a quick Google, this topic looks highly Product-related, ie difficult to generalise.

Can you inform some context as to specific products involved ?

Hi Shuhalox,

From a quick Google, this topic looks highly Product-related, ie difficult to generalise.

Can you inform some context as to specific products involved ?

Hi,

Sure, It's Milk Powder

The one time I worked in a company that packed lactose powder, the bulk density was something the QC department tested for at least half the incoming lots (or more if deviations were found). This was done to avoid packaging issues due to a density that is too low.

If your suppliers deliver within a certain range, it is your job to confirm the bulk density and make sure that the in-spec products can be packaged without problems.

1 Like

Hi,

Sure, It's Milk Powder

I guess the comment in yr OP is the way to go, need to (mutually) implement a standard procedure which apparently exists so that a level playing field is achieved.

May be necessary to set up/maintain a "standard" sample to validate/verify your internal procedure.

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
'Topping up' - bulk commodities and traceability Bulk raw material receiving and traceability Migration Testing of Bulk Containers for the Food Industry How do you keep traceability of bulk flour? Shelf life of sunflower oil in bulk or in silos Hazard Analysis - Bulk Bag Lifting frame in production areas Food Defense for bulk liquid fructose transfer stations Supersack-Bulk Bag Resealing Environmental Pathogens in a Bulk Truck Use of compressed air to fill a Flexible Intermediate Bulk Container before filling