What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Registry with FDA for pet food

Started by , Jan 11 2023 04:40 PM
6 Replies

We're currently a RTE manufacturing facility. Management found someone that may be willing to purchase some of our product as a pet food snack. We would co-pack this for them. My question is (as being unfamiliar with animal food regulations), do we need to register as Animal Food manufacturer with FDA and take the PCQI training for Animal Food?

I'm at a lose here as I've never had to deal with Animal food before.

This forum has an abundance of knowledgeable members and I appreciate any input. Figured this was the best place to ask. Thanks ahead of time for any way you can direct me.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Glass Registry Glass and Brittle Plastic Registry Reportable Foods Registry - Glitching out Glass Audit Registry Magnitude What function does a knife registry perform?
[Ad]
    Animal Food Facility Registration and Qualified Facility Attestation: Frequently Asked Questions
If your facility is already registered, then you're good

https://www.fda.gov/.../85043/download

Who must register under the food facility registration requirements?

If you are the owner, operator, or agent in charge of either a domestic or foreign facility that is engaged in manufacturing/processing, packing, or holding of food for human or animal consumption in the United States, you must register with FDA, unless you are exempt under 21 CFR 1.226 from the requirement to register.

You also need to create a preventive controls plan for the animal snack you plan to package. The PCQI can be someone at your facility or a consultant. So you do not have to take the course. 

Animal food hazards have many of the same as human foods, but they are more sensitive to chemical hazards for over/under usage of nutrients like vitamins, amino acids, copper toxicity.... 

Researching the animals (cat, dogs, etc.)  the product is intended to be used for would be a good start for understanding how your food safety plan will differ. 

On the FURLS registration site, you want to go to section 9 and check the box for "food for animal consumption" as well as the human food box that you have already checked.    Then in section 10 pick the appropriate category.   (update registration)

As for PQCI, in my opinion, the answer is no, you dont need to take the animal course.   I have had GFSI auditors disagree.   (I only have human PQCI cert and oversee both human and animal food facilities).   There are some differences such as there are no allergens in animal feed.   Also, the risks can be different.   If you decide not to take the course, I would suggest you download the animal feed PQCI participant manual and review it.  

https://www.ifsh.iit...ols-animal-food

You will want to look into a state feed license(s).   Many states require them and every state has different rules.   You may also be required to have them in the states that you ship product to as well.  

hope this helps.

1 Like
Hi, what is PQCI equivalent in EU- is it HACCP training?

Hi, what is PQCI equivalent in EU- is it HACCP training?

PCQI is Preventive Controls Qualified Individual. It's for FDA, Government standard.

Similar Discussion Topics
Glass Registry Glass and Brittle Plastic Registry Reportable Foods Registry - Glitching out Glass Audit Registry Magnitude What function does a knife registry perform? Controlled Document Registry Allergen Registry (SQF) Winery Bottling Glass Registry