What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Is specific HACCP training required for Fish Manufacturing

Started by , Nov 22 2022 05:46 PM
8 Replies

I'm the Quality Control Manager/SQF Practioner/PSQI, etc. (many hats here) of a small company. We have the potential of being a co-packer/manufacturer of a fish product. I don't know many details yet but have never dealt with fish, only dairy. I was wondering if I can get some professional information on where to start. Do I need a different HACCP training for fish? Any other training specific to fish?

Thanks ahead of time for any information you can send my way.

1 Like
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SQF 9 Food Manufacturing – Module 11 clarification No CCPs in a HACCP Plan - Can This Be Possible? Including 3rd party storage and distribution HACCP in our own HACCP? Does anyone have video or any kind of slideshow they use for GMP training? HACCP
[Ad]

You will need seafood HACCP.

1 Like

Cornell has the first portion of seafood HACCP online for good price.

https://seafoodhaccp.cornell.edu/

1 Like

I'm the Quality Control Manager/SQF Practioner/PSQI, etc. (many hats here) of a small company. We have the potential of being a co-packer/manufacturer of a fish product. I don't know many details yet but have never dealt with fish, only dairy. I was wondering if I can get some professional information on where to start. Do I need a different HACCP training for fish? Any other training specific to fish?

Hi CC,

Frankly Dairy and Fish are 2 different Worlds from a HACCP POV.

FDA issue a freely downloadable/famous publication/manual on Guidance of haccp/Fishery hazards. Attached at various places on this Forum.

Seafood Alliance offer afaik (I'm not in USA) a recognised Training Course / US certification on haccp/Fishery Products.

The AFDO (Association of Food and Drug Officals) Seafood HACCP based out of Cornell extension mentioned above is the gold standard, and recognized by the FDA. FDA can get very picky about an individual having Seafood HACCP, not meat/dairy. Where are you located? Good Luck!

The AFDO (Association of Food and Drug Officals) Seafood HACCP based out of Cornell extension mentioned above is the gold standard, and recognized by the FDA. FDA can get very picky about an individual having Seafood HACCP, not meat/dairy. Where are you located? Good Luck!

Hi Matt,

I would have thought FDA were the "Gold Standard" for Products within their jurisdiction. Unless FDA is a subsidiary of AFDO of course ?.

FDA vs USDA, 2 different Worlds ? :smile:

The AFDO (Association of Food and Drug Officals) Seafood HACCP based out of Cornell extension mentioned above is the gold standard, and recognized by the FDA. FDA can get very picky about an individual having Seafood HACCP, not meat/dairy. Where are you located? Good Luck!

MattBerrie-what do you mean by "FDA can get very picky about an individual having Seafood HACCP, not meat/dairy. We're located in Washington state.

MattBerrie-what do you mean by "FDA can get very picky about an individual having Seafood HACCP, not meat/dairy. We're located in Washington state.

Hi - Matt is correct, most FDA inspections and Inspectors will ask who is the Seafood HACCP trained individual, and verification of training, as they are responsible for writing, managing and reviewing the Seafood HACCP plan. The easiest way to convey the qualification is taking the AFDO course and receiving the Certificate.

Although part 123 of the US food code (seafood) does not require formal HACCP training, part 117 introduced by FSMA which replaced seafood GMPs part 110 does. This is where the Feds have you over the barrel. You are not a "qualified" individual if you cannot provide training records.

Back in the day, it was perfectly acceptable to simply have a copy of the hazards guidance, and just prove competency with inspection evidence.

Similar Discussion Topics
SQF 9 Food Manufacturing – Module 11 clarification No CCPs in a HACCP Plan - Can This Be Possible? Including 3rd party storage and distribution HACCP in our own HACCP? Does anyone have video or any kind of slideshow they use for GMP training? HACCP HACCP in Bakery - Food Regulations India HACCP for storing and distributing packaging for food products Which Training for warehouse staff? 7.1.4 - Allergen Awareness Training BRCGS 3.7.2 - Does a supplier have to have a HARA/HACCP to be an approved supplier through a questionnaire?