What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Color deviation acceptable range

Started by , Nov 01 2022 01:31 PM
6 Replies

Hello,

We have a product: electrolyte powder. The powder needs to be added to water to create the beverage.

The electrolyte powder contains (natural) colourings, but there is variation in terms of color between batches. I'm working on setting up a method to decide how much the color of the beverage can deviate in order to still be acceptable. 

We don't have a colorimeter or spectrophotometer so we cannot use those devices. 

Does someone has ideas of how to test this/ have a good test method in mind?

My idea was using color cards and keeping this color cards next to the sample and see if it's still acceptable or not. We do of course need to decide how much lighter / darker the sample can be in order for production to be released.

Any ideas are welcome! 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
In CFR 111 must we reconfirm suppliers certificate of analysis for flavors and color? Cranberry Color Change Standardization of Caramel Color and Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein Virgin Coconut Oil Color Change Color code for cleaning
[Ad]

We use colour cards for our product

they are numbered 1-12, then you can dictate your acceptable range by number-say 5-8 or whatever you decide

you may luck out and be able to find very close matches at the paint store---then the chips can be held up behind the glass beaker

just understand the colour varies from person to person so there is some variance built in already

1 Like1 Thank

Hi, welcome to the forum. It's a good idea to use color cards: for one our customers, we've created a range of colors using pantone: say, for mango kefir - yellow shades from light to a bit darker, for strawberry kefir - pink ones. The decision was made basing on comparison of several batches. Has been working perfectly for all these years.

1 Like1 Thank

Thank you both for the answers!

Other then the paint store, is there anywhere else I could get colour cards? In case the paint store doesn't have the right color ranges

I do color by retained sample comparison.  Also in my qa logs I have high res photos of a standard.

1 Thank

quick search of pantone chip cards shows lots of ordering options :)

Didn't experience this with drink powder but a baked product.  We made color variation samples and had a professional photographer come in and snap some pictures that we used to make internal color cards to use.  Just thought I'd throw that out there as an option.

Similar Discussion Topics
In CFR 111 must we reconfirm suppliers certificate of analysis for flavors and color? Cranberry Color Change Standardization of Caramel Color and Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein Virgin Coconut Oil Color Change Color code for cleaning SQF 9.1.2.4 - Can production flooring be of any color? Glove color code policy Brainstorming Color Coding System for Complex Facility Is there a standard color code for cleaning tools ? Color sorting as CCP