What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Best Way to Label Probe Thermometers

Started by , Oct 27 2022 03:46 PM

Over thinking

Etch them as you've done before

8 Replies

Hello! I hope this is the right section for this.

For our thermometer calibration / verification, I like to give an ID to all the probe thermometers we use in our facility. All of our thermometers are the same model so it would be hard to distinguish them without ID'ing them. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for labeling the probe thermometers. Here's what I've done in the past but these never seemed like the perfect solution (as they are used directly over large batches of food). Labeled with sharpie - easily comes off during regular cleaning of thermometer. Small Dymo label on thermometer - seems like an issue because sometimes the label falls off and wouldn't want it to fall into a batch. Dremel etching ID into thermometer - etching something into the smooth surface creates notch that's hard to clean and might harbor pathogens.

Am I overthinking this? Not a huge problem we run into but in my 8 or so years I just haven't thought of anything better.

Thanks

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Label claim vs actual weight Verifying Label Changeover Guidance on Using "Clean Label" for Imported Food Products Box label and pack label Deforested meat products shelf life label requirements
[Ad]

Over thinking

2 Likes1 Thank

Over thinking

Thanks, Scampi. By the way, your other posts on acidified foods have helped me a lot over the past year since switching from the baking industry.

Assuming these thermometers are fixed in the process, can you label them at the point where they connect vs labeling them on the probe itself?  I was QA for a sterilization company, we used large heat chambers to treat product.  Probes were attached to the inside of the containers to link to the computers, data for each could be graphed.  I ended up labeling them at that plug in point so auditors could easily check our treatment records and then find where that probe was located on the chambers.  I had similar concerns about labeling and etching the probes themselves, not to mention the probes would go out a few times a year and get replaced by maintenance.

There are some electrochemical treatments that would allow you to add print or symbols to stainless casings, but physical etching is a lot less problematic. 

Hopefully the protocol for using them includes some sanitizing that will help prevent biofilm or other contamination.

1 Like

Hello! I hope this is the right section for this.

For our thermometer calibration / verification, I like to give an ID to all the probe thermometers we use in our facility. All of our thermometers are the same model so it would be hard to distinguish them without ID'ing them. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for labeling the probe thermometers. Here's what I've done in the past but these never seemed like the perfect solution (as they are used directly over large batches of food). Labeled with sharpie - easily comes off during regular cleaning of thermometer. Small Dymo label on thermometer - seems like an issue because sometimes the label falls off and wouldn't want it to fall into a batch. Dremel etching ID into thermometer - etching something into the smooth surface creates notch that's hard to clean and might harbor pathogens.

Am I overthinking this? Not a huge problem we run into but in my 8 or so years I just haven't thought of anything better.

Thanks

Hi Joe,

Might have helped if you had informed what type, shape of thermometer (and separatable probe ?) required to be labelled.

Hi Joe,

Might have helped if you had informed what type, shape of thermometer (and separatable probe ?) required to be labelled.

We're using handheld Thermapen ONE thermometers where the probe unfolds. 

We're using handheld Thermapen ONE thermometers where the probe unfolds. 

Hi Joe,

Thks feedback. I guess you mean something like this -

thermapen.PNG   12.96KB   0 downloads

Does look maybe tricky although IMEX only the probe gets cleaned in which case tape/tag can work.

Calibration at 100degC looks a bit awkward :smile:

You can use a laser etcher that can etch in several different colors - white on black, blacknon white etc.

Similar Discussion Topics
Label claim vs actual weight Verifying Label Changeover Guidance on Using "Clean Label" for Imported Food Products Box label and pack label Deforested meat products shelf life label requirements Honey in product does it require label warning for infants? Mention word Real fruit on candy label Label requirements for food manufactured for restaurant use? Dual Label for Single Product (FSANZ & FDA) Checking frozen incoming material using digital probe thermometer