What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Packaging considerations for roasted and salted macadamia

Started by , Jul 14 2022 12:29 PM
1 Reply

Good Day network,

We are looking at roasting and salting macadamia nuts. May you kindly advise on the shelf life of roasted macadamia and the packaging conditions. I have seen that some players use vacuum packaging and or nitrogen flushing and would like to know if this is a requirement.

Regards,

Faith. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Environmental Monitoring in Food Packaging Packaging Requirements for USDA Organic Food Irradiated Packaging Material Compliance Protective Clothing as per BRCGS Packaging Co-Packaging in Separate Area
[Ad]

Deciding on a packaging design must always start with a keen understanding of your product. What factors can impact the shelf life of your macadamia nuts? I would guess oxygen would be a key concern, as the nut's high fat content makes them vulnerable to rancidity. I would look for packaging materials that offer very high barriers to oxygen.

I have seen roasted nuts typically offered with a 1-year shelf life. However, it would be prudent to do a shelf life study of your own using your packaging design. Vacuum packaging and nitrogen flushing are likely not requirements, but many nut manufacturers may chose to add these steps because they promote longer shelf life. If you do not implement these steps, you likely can't expect a similar shelf life from your own product. That is why performing your own shelf life study is important: many factors unique to your operation/packaging will effect your result.

Below are some threads which also discuss shelf life:

https://www.ifsqn.co...lf-life-trials/

https://www.ifsqn.co...-of-shelf-life/

Similar Discussion Topics
Environmental Monitoring in Food Packaging Packaging Requirements for USDA Organic Food Irradiated Packaging Material Compliance Protective Clothing as per BRCGS Packaging Co-Packaging in Separate Area Extended Producer Responsibility laws (EPR Laws) related to product packaging and, depending on the state, certain paper and food service ware product Packaging Packaging non-food grade item in food facility Packaging Art for Vanilla Flavored Items SQF 13.6.3.3: Food Packaging Transportation - Sealed Trailers