What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Nutritional values

Started by , Apr 15 2022 05:32 PM
6 Replies

When calculation nutritional values for labels, some items are rounded.

Such as sodium.

On one product, our sodium is 606g.  That works out to 26%.

However, on the label, it would be rounded to  610g which is 27%.

Should we use 26% or 27% on the label?   

A couple items are slightly different as well, cholesterol and sugar.

I've explained to my boss how the differences occur, and I THINK he understands (language barrier) but he's worried someone will purchase the product and work out the percentages and they won't be the same.

Thank you.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
How can an importer verify a nutritional facts table? Nutritional Labelling US Market Nutritional Panel vs. Supplement Panel Could you help me develop a testing protocol for the nutritional analysis of canned products? Nutritional Facts Question
[Ad]
As ab owner I would be concerned too. We did have a client that put tge state "percentages can increase ann decrease, but we strive to indicate percentages as close to acutal numbers on a continuing basis." They have had somw questions on this but no issues.

As ab owner I would be concerned too. We did have a client that put tge state "percentages can increase ann decrease, but we strive to indicate percentages as close to acutal numbers on a continuing basis." They have had somw questions on this but no issues.

So, either percentage would be correct?  
I haven't been able to find anything on an official site that states how to round percentages.

AFAIK, nutrition values cannot remain the same, it'd depend on some factors. Say, our milk-based products nutritions would vary depending on season, cow diet, weather, etc.

1 Thank

AFAIK, nutrition values cannot remain the same, it'd depend on some factors. Say, our milk-based products nutritions would vary depending on season, cow diet, weather, etc.

I get that things will change, but that's not my question.

On a labeling guide, it showed to round some ingredients to the nearest whole number, nearest 5 or nearest 10.

When doing the rounding, some percentages change depending on if you're using the actual number or the rounded number.

Should we just use the actual number, the % when using the actual number or the % using the rounded number? 

Cholesterol 17.74 = 6%  rounded 20 = 7%

Sodium 606.1 = 26%        rounded 610 = 27%

Sugar4.693 = 9%               rounded 5 = 10%

I would use a % for the rounded values. 

1 Like

Like Olenazh said, I would use the high percentage numbers. It's better to over-declare on these than under-declare.

Similar Discussion Topics
How can an importer verify a nutritional facts table? Nutritional Labelling US Market Nutritional Panel vs. Supplement Panel Could you help me develop a testing protocol for the nutritional analysis of canned products? Nutritional Facts Question How to convert 100g Multi Column Nutritional Info Can QR Codes replace nutritional and ingredient statements? FDA- Updating Nutritional Facts Panels Nutritional facts of chicken juices extracted during oven cooking Use of QR Codes for Nutritional Labeling