What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Are storage racks with wood shelving acceptable for low risk items?

Started by , Apr 11 2022 02:27 PM
9 Replies

Our facility is going for SQF certification in approximately 4 months. We are currently addressing shelving in our facility, and more specifically metal shelving with particle board or plywood shelves (unsealed with no painted surface). 

Do we have to either replace or seal any wood shelves, or can we continue using in areas where we are not storing ingredients, chemicals, food-contact materials and primary packging? My initial thought is to replace or seal wood shelving which is used for storing the previously stated items, but in areas such as maintenance maybe we can get away with it?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Risk Analysis for EMP program Best Practices for Handling and Serving Freshly Prepared Items at McDonald’s Guidance on Addressing SQF Compliance Issues for Contracted Storage Providers What is an Acceptable LOQ for Peanut Allergen Testing in Canada? Ozone Transfer Chamber Low Risk to High Care/Risk
[Ad]

If it were me I'd get rid of it just to avoid the question.    Is it a large amount of shelving or something?  Expensive to replace?

How about risk assessment? I mean, if it's hard or expensive to get rid of wooden shelves. Otherwise, agree with MDaleDDF.

Not needed. A wood control program is needed however to check for damahe, splintering etc. No need to reolace or seal.
1 Like

If they are in the maintenance shop, that all other employees are NOT supposed to go in, you're A ok

I would paint them because then they can be wiped down and kept fairly clean

We use, wooden planks in several storage areas in the building.  If they become soiled then we replace them.  We have never had any issues with inspections since we have a good program to keep them clean and free from debris.  SQFConsultant has it right though, make sure there is a plan in place so that when you are questioned on everything you will have an answer.

Cheers!

See, for me, this is why I would replace them, if cost isn't prohibitive.   A control program?  Constant cleaning and inspecting?   It's just easier to replace and have a non-issue.   IMHO, of course.   I'm all about making everything as easy as possible.   I have enough to worry about and check on, without worrying about the wood storage shelves in maintenance...

2 Likes1 Thank

Something non-food safety related... You may also want to confirm with your insurance. I've heard from previous positions that I'm in that the shelving is frowned upon due to fire safety. It keeps the burning material from falling to the floor where it can be extinguished and the wood is also a fire hazard. 

Just another perspective.

Do you have a daily pre-operation inspection or regular GMP inspection where you can include checking wood shelving to verify it is free of splinters, mold, etc. and in good condition? You can include that documentation as part of your wood control program as SQFConsultant mentioned above.

Depending on how much racking we're talking about, in the long run you'd be money ahead buying the wire decking for them. We do a quick dusting every year and they look great. You install them once and forget about them. Solid shelving gets dusty considerably faster, require wiping down, frequent inspections, regular maintenance. I would lean toward what makes everyone's job easier and is guaranteed compliant.

2 Likes1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Risk Analysis for EMP program Best Practices for Handling and Serving Freshly Prepared Items at McDonald’s Guidance on Addressing SQF Compliance Issues for Contracted Storage Providers What is an Acceptable LOQ for Peanut Allergen Testing in Canada? Ozone Transfer Chamber Low Risk to High Care/Risk High risk supplier approval In a low risk facility are employees required to change when using restrooms? BRCGS Requirement: Testing Metal Detectable Items on All Metal Detectors? Incorporating Outsourced Suppliers into HACCP Risk Assessments: BRC Clause 3.5.4.3 Compliance Risk Assessment for Protective Clothing in High Care Areas: Key Hazards and Considerations