• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 April 2022 - 11:05 PM

Dear all;

We are an Asian noodle manufacturer company. Presently we are testing packaging of noodles by using MAP technology with a view to enhancing product shelf life. The raw product is flushed with MAP gases before being packed in thermoformed film trays. We use pre-mixed food grade N2 and COgases at 50:50 ratio for the purpose. So far shelf life and lab tests are going well. Now we are trying to create a pre-op checklist for our operator before he starts the machine. Appreciate if anybody shares his knowledge regarding this process, what food food safety concerns are involved here involving these MAP gases and what are other concerns that must be addressed before starting packaging machine.

With best regards,

Iqbal

Edited by Charles.C, 06 April 2022 - 12:25 AM.
split from 43229

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5669 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 April 2022 - 12:33 AM

Hi Iqbal,

I assume the MAP Product is stored chilled and NRTE.

afaik this scenario typically requires a shelf life which takes into account the potential risk due growth of C.botulinum / toxin production.

I hope you possess a QA Operative who has Microbiological experience.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Iqbal 123

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 April 2022 - 05:26 PM

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your comment. Our product is not ready to eat; before eating cooking will be required following label instruction. 

Regards,

Iqbal

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,775 posts
  • 1157 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 21 April 2022 - 09:04 PM

I have bo input other than to say I LOVE UDON! Just can bot seem to get good packages of it here in the us.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

CONSULTANT

https://t.me/MVIDigitalWarrior

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5669 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 April 2022 - 11:38 PM

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your comment. Our product is not ready to eat; before eating cooking will be required following label instruction. 

Regards,

Iqbal

Hi !qbal,

afaik my previous comment is unchanged.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 394 posts
  • 123 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 22 April 2022 - 06:07 PM

Hi Iqbal123,

I agree with Charles here that the product may have microbiological risks associated with its MAP packaging. I'm assuming this is a cooked noodle in a tray, that the customer is supposed to add hot water to? In the case of an anaerobic environment, your micro concerns are a bit more unique. Make sure you understand your product's pH and water activity. From there you should be cross-referencing this information with growth conditions for pathogens of concern. 

As for your equipment, if you're relying on MAP packaging to be what dictates the safety/quality of your food, the sealing of your trays will become very important. Startup procedures on your machine should at least verify the integrity of the film sealing to the tray, the integrity of the film material itself, as well as the good operation of your gas injection equipment. I don't have much experience with film trays themselves, but I would think a cleanliness verification of the machine parts responsible for applying the film seal prior to startup is warranted. Depending on the method of application, these parts can become caked with glue or melted plastic over time, resulting in a poor seal.

Edited by Brothbro, 22 April 2022 - 06:10 PM.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,627 posts
  • 1539 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 April 2022 - 08:09 PM

I think in order to achieve you're end goal----you could consider partially drying the noodles----which in turn will lower the water activity which should help a great deal

This may be of help

https://www.mdpi.com.../11/12/1504/pdf

https://www.inspecti...14870197?chap=0

https://www.foodstan...vacpacguide.pdf

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users