What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Steam and Water Quality Testing

Started by , Mar 03 2022 08:59 PM
7 Replies

We are food processing facility that steam sterilizes Chile powder, flakes, pods through a validated system....

My questions is, if we are already testing the quality of water supplying our steam sterilizer, should we also test the quality of the steam.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Steam Sterilization - Canada Water used for Steam Sterilization Validating and verifying Steam used to cook food How to deal with excessive steam from a dishwasher? Ammonia, steam and liquid nitrogen as hazards
[Ad]

We are also using steam and we are doing the following analysis on it;

- Steam analysis: Conductivity, Elem UHP EU (calcium, copper, iron,magnesium, silicon, sodium, total CaCO3, zinc), IC KREF (Chloride, Sulfate)

These analysis were previously not included in our schedule, but due to an audit this had to be performed on an annual basis.

The auditor indicated that you want to know that the steam pipe inside has no build-up or "crumbled" (I hope this word make sense :rolleyes:)

1 Like

I agree with MacGill  and if we don't do it NC.

So its should be done.

Thanks 

I agree with the others that it should be tested.
Both facilities I've worked in produces their own ice.  Water is tested by the city, but we are required to do additional testing on both water and ice.

Hi MacGil,

How you collect steam sample? from condensate or sampling point in steam line.

Ahmed Ismail

I would say it depends on risk level and the process.

If you produce steam with no boiler carryover (chemicals carryover), have a sterile steam filter in place (probably do), and have stainless lines then you have very little risk.  Your focus would be more on the maintenance of the steam producing system versus testing the steam itself to verify.  The system should have been testing when it was first commissioned to validate the system.  Verification is the PM program, equipment inspections, and what work is done by the chemical provider for boiler treatments (if this is how steam is produced).

I think people put too much emphasis on the testing to tell them of a problem versus actually working to prevent problems.  Resources should be put more into the camp of prevention, versus testing.  Don't get me wrong, testing can be a valuable tool if you want to see if you have a problem, but it shouldn't be used to "verify" everything is OK.

Hello all, 

Our facility also uses steam have had not come across an auditor who has made us test it yet. I fear though that this is only a matter time. Is anyone able to elaborate where and how in their process they sample the steam? It may be a dumb question but I cannot visualize how the steam is actually "captured". 

Thank you, 

Chris 

Hi MacGil,

How you collect steam sample? from condensate or sampling point in steam line.

Ahmed Ismail

The auditor indicated that you want to know that the steam pipe inside has no build-up or "crumbled" (I hope this word make sense :rolleyes:)

With a stationary steam system that is plumbed throughout the facility deterioration or contamination of the interior of the hardware is what you're looking for in the output sample. 

No different than testing the potability of water that comes out of a drinking fountain or breakroom faucet instead of collecting it from the line coming into the building.

Similar Discussion Topics
Steam Sterilization - Canada Water used for Steam Sterilization Validating and verifying Steam used to cook food How to deal with excessive steam from a dishwasher? Ammonia, steam and liquid nitrogen as hazards Choosing a steam pressure washer equipment Hazards in steam Portable steam cleaners Hazard Analysis Control Plan for CO2 Purification, Steam Production, Refrigeration using Glycol and Compressed Air Critical limit of aluminium pieces by x-ray inspection in frozen steam sweet potato?