• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 January 2022 - 12:30 PM

Hi

Would anyone have any experience with packing ready to eat foods, manufactured in high risk or high care environments, in a packaging format that does not have an air tight seal?

I've seen a lot of products on the market - mainly frozen - where the food item is contained in tamper proof packaging but does not have an airtight seal. Examples include cream filled desserts or cooked seafood packed directly into cartons.

This seems to me as if it could pose a food safety risk but I suppose with the products being frozen all the manufacturer needs to ensure (in addition to shelf life validation) is that the products are absent of pathogens at point of manufacture and the food contact materials have appropriate controls.

Any thoughts from people who have manufactured such products would be welcome.

Thanks

Danny

LILDANNY50

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 46 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 January 2022 - 03:50 PM

Hi Danny, 

I assume the airtight seal you're referring to is products with a modified atmosphere or are vacuum packed. This is a form of preservation. Freezing isn't usually airtight as the freezing process itself is indeed the preservation step to help the product last longer and therefore give a better shelf life! 

The supplier would also most likely test each batch to ensure it remains safe before being sold. 

Hope that helps!  

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 February 2022 - 03:59 PM

Many companies intentionally avoid an airtight seal as this can create concerns of C. botulinum in reduced oxygen packaging. 

Cathy Crawford, HACCP Consulting Group
http://haccpcg.com/

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users