What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Quat based Sanitizers use in Food Industry

Started by , Jan 04 2022 09:21 PM
4 Replies

Hi All,

I am working in Australia and wondering if there are any reasons to not use Quat based sanitizers onsite.

The only reason i can come up with is that if you are organic certified you cannot.,

Are there other country requirements or standards that don't allow it?

Look forward to you feedback.

Thanks

Vash

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Quat Sanitizer Testing Rotating Sanitizers - can they both be QUAT Sanitizers? Requirements for QUAT testing UK/EU Multi-Quat Contact time Quat Sanitizer validation
[Ad]

Hello, 

The only cons I can think of using quat would be that it can be a lung irritant but can be avoided if used according to the manufacture. Quat sanitizers should be checked frequently as it can lose it's effectiveness when soiled. Other than quat sanitizers are preferred due to the fact that they are odorless, non-staining and tend to have a long shelf life. I would also look into local regulatory guidelines regarding sanitizer use.

Hello,

One thought is regs on pesticide use -European Commission

- Maximum Residue Levels (MRL) for Quaternary Ammonium Compounds (Benzalkonium Chloride (BAC) and Didecyldimethyl Ammonium Chloride (DDAC) which are commonly used disinfectants in the food industry.

Foods produced after the 12th Aug 2015 are subject to MRL’s of 0.1mg/kg.  It is an offence to sell or supply food with a residue over the MRL.

2 things I heard of are cheese manufacuturers don't like it because it affects the cheese cultures and it takes a long time to break down.

Hi Vash, 

Yes basically Quat is not organic certified and it may leave residue on surface too.

Beside there most of the sanitiser with Quat base come along with a little amount of surfactant. 

So there might be a reason too ... I guess.

=)

Similar Discussion Topics
Quat Sanitizer Testing Rotating Sanitizers - can they both be QUAT Sanitizers? Requirements for QUAT testing UK/EU Multi-Quat Contact time Quat Sanitizer validation What are the regulatory levels for quat sanitizer?