Pugh5e

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:06 PM

Hey all,
sorry I'm not allowed to start a new topic in this forum so I'm hoping this is the right area for my query. Basically, I am a mechanical engineering student and I am doing a summer placement working in the supply chain section for a company, on a project which means I'm to devlop and implement a strategy to reduce the set up time for the factory lines. I am feeling slightly bedazzled and confused by this - I've read through all the messages on this board and found some very useful things so now feel I understand the concepts behind things such as the 5S's and SMED, but wondered how I go about actually obtaining data from the factory floor and wondered how any one else would go about this project? I'm only working here for 10 weeks so obviously time is of the essence if I'm going to try and make any impact. I've already arranged a factory visit for next week, but I don't think the company realise how important this is to my project, and I don't think they'd allow me to go and film or time the line?!
As you can tell I'm probably in over my head on this one, and any help whatsoever would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Charlotte :helpplease:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,854 posts
  • 1366 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:38 PM

Hey all,
sorry I'm not allowed to start a new topic in this forum so I'm hoping this is the right area for my query.

Yes sorry about that I've fixed it now. :oops:

Basically, I am a mechanical engineering student and I am doing a summer placement working in the supply chain section for a company, on a project which means I'm to devlop and implement a strategy to reduce the set up time for the factory lines. I am feeling slightly bedazzled and confused by this - I've read through all the messages on this board and found some very useful things so now feel I understand the concepts behind things such as the 5S's and SMED, but wondered how I go about actually obtaining data from the factory floor and wondered how any one else would go about this project? I'm only working here for 10 weeks so obviously time is of the essence if I'm going to try and make any impact. I've already arranged a factory visit for next week, but I don't think the company realise how important this is to my project, and I don't think they'd allow me to go and film or time the line?
As you can tell I'm probably in over my head on this one, and any help whatsoever would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Charlotte

Charlotte 'you can't improve what you don't measure' - as someone clever once said. If they won't let you measure machine / line stop time, changeover time etc. then you won't know whether the strategy you develop and the actions you take have improved things or not. Who has written the project brief? What are the goals and measurable objectives for the projec? These need to be settled before you even think about developing an agreed strategy with all interested parties.

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:26 AM

Charlotte 'you can't improve what you don't measure' - as someone clever once said.

I agree with Simon :clap: .

BTW you may find useful these presentations. Rgds. Franco

Attached File  SET_UP_REDUCTION.ppt   218KB   88 downloadsAttached File  SMED.ppt   381KB   71 downloads

Edited by Franco, 29 June 2006 - 07:30 AM.

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

Pugh5e

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:06 PM

I agree with Simon :clap: .

BTW you may find useful these presentations. Rgds. Franco

Attached File  SET_UP_REDUCTION.ppt   218KB   88 downloadsAttached File  SMED.ppt   381KB   71 downloads

Thanks Franco, I'd already downloaded them from the previous board but I did find them useful.

Simon - ah thats that I thought. Is there any data that the company might already own that might be useful to me until I try and persuade them I need to make factory observations? As for the project brief - thats the other HUGE problem- I have to come up with it myself!!! I have to write about the critical success factors, the targets, the constraints, the initial proposed timings and approach and the risk considerations. I'm then to develop a realistic timescale of things I can do in this 10 weeks. I don't know where to start with these and I have to show rough ideas tomorrow afternoon and then hand it in finally on Monday to my line manager. Any help would again be much appreciated! Just glad there are people out there who can help, was beginning to feel very very alone!!

Thank you
Charlotte x

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:29 AM

I have to come up with it myself!!! I have to write about the critical success factors, the targets, the constraints, the initial proposed timings and approach and the risk considerations. I'm then to develop a realistic timescale of things I can do in this 10 weeks.

That's your job mate. We do not know the organization you are working for :dunno:
This challenging task could possibily be a way to select applicants for a job :whistle:
Just do it and keep doing your best :bye:

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,854 posts
  • 1366 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:36 AM

Thanks Franco, I'd already downloaded them from the previous board but I did find them useful.

Simon - ah thats that I thought. Is there any data that the company might already own that might be useful to me until I try and persuade them I need to make factory observations? As for the project brief - thats the other HUGE problem- I have to come up with it myself!!! I have to write about the critical success factors, the targets, the constraints, the initial proposed timings and approach and the risk considerations. I'm then to develop a realistic timescale of things I can do in this 10 weeks. I don't know where to start with these and I have to show rough ideas tomorrow afternoon and then hand it in finally on Monday to my line manager. Any help would again be much appreciated! Just glad there are people out there who can help, was beginning to feel very very alone!!

Thank you
Charlotte x

I think you have a tough task Charlotte. You need their input and ideas to define the project.

- what do they want to improve and why

- what are their success measures

- what is their current performance

- what initiatives have they tried previously

- successes, failuers and why

- what support will you have

- what do they expect from you

- what can and can't you do

If they want to get value from your project and not waste everyone's time tell them you need a team approach to defining the project plan, or you're not doing it - then go and get drunk and watch the match.

:beer:

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users