What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Has anyone ever experienced a high yeast count on hands and gloves?

Started by , Dec 07 2021 10:55 PM
8 Replies

Has anyone ever experienced a high yeast count on hands and gloves for that matter, which have then been transferred onto product and over time caused spoilage? 

Hand/Glove count between 80-280

Finished product day 3 between 100-2500

Finished product day 30 between 2500- > 30000

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Yeast & Mould Specifications Cleaning air conditioning pipes that are high up Can high water salinity cause spoilage of coconut milk? High APC reading on Handsink Water Gloves Versus Handwashing
[Ad]

Hello, 

Are you sure about your root cause? What are your guidelines for your gloves disposal? Are you sanitizing your gloves too? Hand washing too for that matter. 

Hello, 

Are you sure about your root cause? What are your guidelines for your gloves disposal? Are you sanitizing your gloves too? Hand washing too for that matter. 

Hand washing procedure is effective and verified weekly, Gloves are being changed routinely every hour, after its damaged, between breaks etc. 

The basics have all been independently checked. 

i have not

are you sure its yeast?   some bacteria will grow on Y/M selective agars.

what is the product / how is it stored?

what are bacteria counts?

in guessing the product is being physically handeled.   are you sure the source is a hand and not something else?   

i have not

are you sure its yeast?   some bacteria will grow on Y/M selective agars.

what is the product / how is it stored?

what are bacteria counts?

in guessing the product is being physically handled.   are you sure the source is a hand and not something else?   

The analysis tests as yeast and it is the only spoilage bacteria for my product. Its a chilled vegetarian analogue that is chilled. The process is very labour intensive with very little automation. 

https://www.uofmheal...library/abr7621

A yeast infection is usually caused by a fungus called Candida albicans. This kind of yeast naturally lives on your skin. When too much yeast grows, it is called a yeast skin infection.

If employee's hands are getting sweaty/wet - it'll grow more.

So most likely not an infection but naturally occurring on skin like bacteria.

The yeast in your product may not be caused from employees. It could be from other sources.

Yeast can survive under very harsh environments.

http://foodsafety.me...yeast-and-mold/

https://aggie-hortic...iology-of-food/

Yeasts and Molds

Yeasts and molds grow on most foods, on equipment, and building surfaces where there are small amounts of nutrient and moisture. Since bacteria grow faster, they greatly outnumber yeasts and molds in most foods. However, bacteria find conditions of low pH, moisture, or temperature and high salt or sugar unfavorable. In such environments, yeasts or molds predominate. Thus, they can be a problem in dry foods, salted fish, bread, pickles, fruits, jams, jellies, and similar commodities.

My money is that the yeast is on the gloves themselves

My money is that the yeast is on the gloves themselves

Scampi is usually correct. 

1 Like

Similar Discussion Topics
Yeast & Mould Specifications Cleaning air conditioning pipes that are high up Can high water salinity cause spoilage of coconut milk? High APC reading on Handsink Water Gloves Versus Handwashing Standard Microbial Count for Equipment and Utensils in Food Industry BRCGS 8.1.2 - Cooked Crustacea High Risk-High Care High risk area with positive pressure and microbiological air filtration Production Personnel Wearing Finger Nail Polish and Gloves How to state Air / Yeast & Mould count ?