• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2021 - 04:24 PM

Dear whom may this concern,

I have recently discovered a product that says it halal certified, however its manufactured in a facility that also processes crustaceans. Now im not sure if you are aware of the ruiling within islamic religion. But, we have certain rulings that we follow. and these ruilings are mad from 4 specific people. One of the people. his name is imaam abu hanifa, now he says crustaceans are haraam, but, the other 3 people say its halal to eat any type of crustaceans.

The main this that im trying to achieve is that, is this product halal or haram. because we arent exactly eating the thing thats haram, are we?

If you need more info please do not hesitate to contact me via. email.

The product i am reffering towards: samyung chicken spicy ramen noodles.
Many thanks,
Maisha.

Edited by maisha, 01 November 2021 - 04:24 PM.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 441 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 01 November 2021 - 04:35 PM

I'm not sure what your question/inquiry is here - but as far as I know crustaceans are halal. Please, refer to the attached.

Attached Files

maisha

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2021 - 05:25 PM

Basically im asking eventhough its manufactured in a factory that processes with crustaceans. Does it actually contain it within the product? Does that make sense 😂

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 441 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 01 November 2021 - 06:17 PM

Depends on your allergen (or halal/non-halal) control measures: ingredient and finished product separation, changeover cleaning, separate production lines, allergen swabbing, etc. If you don't do that, your non-crustaceans products might be compromised.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,076 posts
  • 851 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 02 November 2021 - 07:34 PM

Basically im asking eventhough its manufactured in a factory that processes with crustaceans. Does it actually contain it within the product? Does that make sense

It looks like you're in the UK, in which case labelling regulations will answer your question for you - as crustaceans are listed as one of the fourteen major allergens in the UK/EU, the packet must state if these are present in the product. If there is a cross-contamination risk, the situation is slightly less clear, but most brands will include a "may contain" statement to indicate that their cross-contamination controls are not definitively sufficient to rule out potential presence of crustaceans even if they're not used as an ingredient.

If the product has been halal certified, the certification process will have involved an audit from the certifying body - generally they will visit the factory and examine various systems, controls, production equipment etc., and will only grant the certification once they are suitably confident that haraam ingredients won't cross-contaminate the products being certified.

Brands are generally fairly helpful with consumer queries, so if you've got specific concerns then I'd contact the brand owner and ask them. It's probably not that unusual, as with the both halal and kosher certification there can be differing opinions/interpretations amongst certifying bodies as to what is or isn't problematic.

Fahrani

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 08 December 2021 - 01:06 AM

Hi Maisha,

I would like to help you about the basic of halal guidance since my company do halal certification in Indonesia. 

Food will be considered haram if there is one of the following criteria:

1. Animal ingredients
  • classified as heavy najis = pigs & dogs
  • beasts (sharp-toothed or sharp-nailed) = tiger, eagles etc
  • amphibious animals that survive and reproduce on land and in the air = frog, salamander etc
  • disgusting animals = larvae, snails, mice
  • animal that died without slaughtering process/ carcass

2. Plant-based, soid and liquid objects

• toxic
  • intoxicate
  • harm to human health
  • alcoholic beverages
  • human body parts
  • any derivatives from pig or any haram animals

Exceptions > Everything that comes from the sea or lives in water is halal even if it is not slaughtered.

Based on the exceptions I believe crustaceans is considered to be Halal. However the interpretation of those criteria may be different on some countries because they have different Ulama research on it, some Ulama can be very strict to decide on the grey area substance to avoid any mistake. But some Ulama allows it because it is still have lack of information

I attached the lists of guidelines based on halal certification body in Indonesia. I hope it will be helpful. Sorry if any of my statement is unclear or maybe misinterpreted.

Attached Files

Edited by Fahrani, 08 December 2021 - 02:36 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

maisha

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 December 2021 - 12:05 PM

Jazakallah so much @fahrani. Unfortunately, the file that you have attached isnt opening.. it says i need permission.

Fahrani

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 08 December 2021 - 02:37 PM

Please try it again, the files is not uploaded before when I posted it

maisha

Grade - Active