• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can someone identify this potential wheat fungus?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

sorryididnot

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 16 October 2021 - 05:34 PM

Hello Everybody, sorry to disturb the scientific talk.

I am somebody with no microbiology background.

Could you help me to identify what this is? it is very bad? howget rid of that?

The size of the complete structure (the whole blob in the photo) is about 4 by 3 millieters.

It seems to be surviving on very different surfaces  like a metal kitchen sink, anti-stick-lining of pans, aluminium and glass. it is rather difficult to completely get rid of. it creates  a very thin whitish tarnsparent "film" and after a while of not touchng it, it gets these "blooms". (I just assume the "film" and the "bloom" are from the same source). The blooming i have seen so far, only on kitchen sink, aluminium pots and anti-stick Surfaces. The tap water in Berlin is what is called here "very hard" (in cas this is connected)

I live in germany in Berlin, and i have this very persistent (is it a fungus?) thing covering the surfaces close the kitchen sink when left alone.

I think it might have started after i bought some coucscous-grain at an arab store, poured it with water and left uneaten for a day. it was covered with white stuff. so could it be the source of this stuff?, i beleie it started about 5 to 8 many years ago already.

the couscous grain was packaged, but well.. you must know. it came from turkey or an arab country..

I do no know if this is a right place to ask.

If this is a completely wrong one, i would be great, if could point me in the right direction.

Peter   

Attached Files

Edited by sorryididnot, 16 October 2021 - 05:41 PM.

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 16 October 2021 - 10:37 PM

Looks like mold spores.  Decontamination needed.  Generally chlorine based cleaners and sanitizers do well.  I'd go as heavy as you can with the chlorine and brush / scrub everything.  Obviously, if you have any of that food leftover, throw it out.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,622 posts
  • 1538 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 October 2021 - 04:04 PM

You may also want to understand the building conditions this is happening in

Mold/yeast spores are everywhere, but do not usually flourish 

Case in point-on vacation for 2 weeks in August, humidity hangs around 85% in my part of the world, no mold/yeast growth anywhere upon return (house closed tight) due to AC running, had i left the house to its own devices, would have been a disaster

None of those surfaces will "grow' mold on their own as they are not a food source.  You've got a bit of a disaster on your hands, everything needs throughly cleaned with either a weak bleach solution or 5% acetic acid vinegar

Keep your humidity low (think about a dehumidifier) and everything dry

Did you recently bring in a new houseplant?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 143 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 18 October 2021 - 05:45 PM

It looks like mold spores to me too. Like Ryan and Scampi said, bleach would probably be effective.

The CDC recommends a maximum concentration of 1 cup bleach to 1 gallon of water.

https://www.cdc.gov/...nup-bleach.html

Be careful when cleaning not to release them into the air (dry scrubbing) or fling pieces elsewhere (overzealous scrubbing).

I would suggest immediately throwing away any towels used to wipe. Spores can survive a lot.

sorryididnot

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:36 PM

Hello Everybody.

Thank you a lot for your help.

I will try the chlorine cleaner.