What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Poultry Slaughter CCPs

Started by , Sep 24 2021 09:40 PM
8 Replies

Dear mentors – Seeking guidance on the CCPs for Poultry Slaughtering.

I have researched and seen different variations US, Canada, New Zealand, and a few universities.

What I have seen is a difference in CCP Classification.

I have seen:

- Reception (antibiotics), is CCP – while not in others

- Venting/Evisceration a CCP – while not in others

- Inspection (step after evisceration) – while not in others

- Chill Wash and Final Washes the only CCPs

- Cutting and Deboning for both B & C as CCPs -while not in others

- Cold Storage as a CCP – while not in others

- Transport as a CCP – while not in others

Can I get your professional opinions of what the CCPs should be?

Regards and thanks

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing Maintenance team footwear in production areas of a low risk poultry processing plant Meat and Poultry Thaw - Ambient Temperature Equation Manufacture of Poultry, Livestock and Fish Feed HACCP Mold and Yeast levels in raw poultry
[Ad]

Dear mentors – Seeking guidance on the CCPs for Poultry Slaughtering.

I have researched and seen different variations US, Canada, New Zealand, and a few universities.

What I have seen is a difference in CCP Classification.

I have seen:

- Reception (antibiotics), is CCP – while not in others

- Venting/Evisceration a CCP – while not in others

- Inspection (step after evisceration) – while not in others

- Chill Wash and Final Washes the only CCPs

- Cutting and Deboning for both B & C as CCPs -while not in others

- Cold Storage as a CCP – while not in others

- Transport as a CCP – while not in others

Can I get your professional opinions of what the CCPs should be?

Regards and thanks

Hi bzefella,

I anticipate that yr observations indicate that different bodies/organizations may have divergent interpretations/implementations of "HACCP".

This is a correct conclusion. There is no uniquely "correct" version of haccp and similarly regarding CCPs.

In addition, "haccp" is evolving with time. CCPs commonly agreed on 2-3 decades ago are often now categorised as PRPs.

Your appropriate selection may relate to factors such as local Regulatory issues, specific Standard involved (if any), customer contract, etc.

The previous reply is correct.  The CCPs highly depend on regulatory requirements.  In the US, the CCPs are mandated by USDA/FSIS.  The inspection for fecal material of the carcass/pieces/recouped carcass is mandatory and is done after evisceration. Another CCP that is mandatory is temperature which is after chill and depending on what further steps the facility is doing (ie cutup, marinating pieces etc) there may be additional temperature CCPs down stream. 

you MUST have some sort of carcass inspection post evis as a CCP, this isn't just checking for fecal matter in/on the carcass, but also for identifying any pathology that should not be consumed

The rest will depend on your process flow

Hi Bzefella

For our poultry processing we have 2 CCPs

the first is the PIA inspection (Poultry Inspection Assistant) which primary objective is to the remove any diseased animals from the line as mentioned by Scampi

the second is the metal detection of the finished product, we have a lot of metal flying around the plant 

temperature controls both environmental and carcass are pre-requisites

Hi all,

Just to jump on this thread rather than start a new one. We have EV as a CCP also but our current procedures/monitoring is very vague. Our OV today has asked what our tolerance is for EV, as her bosses are asking her. We don't have anything documented and was looking for a bit of advise/normal tolerance levels? She said her broiler plants tolerance is 5%.

I assume she means tolerance of improperly eviscerated birds. 

CFIA = 4%   Here is the link to the entire standard that may be useful as a reference

https://inspection.c...78084000263#a81

Evisceration standards for chicken, fowl and turkey
Sampling frequency, sample size and accept and reject numbers Lot Size Process evaluation Corrective measure(s) evaluation Chicken and Fowl Turkey AcTable Note 6 ReTable Note 7 AcTable Note 6 ReTable Note 7 ≤ 5,000 cphTable Note 5
(max.1 hour/lot) 32 Carcasses
(each hour) 32 Carcasses
(within 10 minutes)Table Note 8 3 4 5 6 ≥ 5 001 cph
(max.1 hour/lot) 50 Carcasses
(each hour) 50 Carcasses
(within 10 minutes)Table Note 8 5 6 8 9
1 Thank

Thanks to all that took out time to respond to my query.

Much appreciated.

so, Following comment above , Ev must be a CCP, but I saw some documents of companies, CV is not a CCP. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing Maintenance team footwear in production areas of a low risk poultry processing plant Meat and Poultry Thaw - Ambient Temperature Equation Manufacture of Poultry, Livestock and Fish Feed HACCP Mold and Yeast levels in raw poultry Checklist for poultry processing industry Poultry further processing (Chicken nuggets & Strips) - Quality related issues and sensory Validation Study- Mashed Pot., Mac and Cheese, and Poultry Gravy Shipping food products containing meat and poultry to the United States Microbiological Criteria for E.coli in Frozen Poultry South Africa