What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Aerobic colony count (ACC) limits for Equipment

Started by , Aug 26 2021 12:00 PM
3 Replies

Hi all! We recently conducted micro testing on our equipment for sanitation effectiveness. The results of the ACC count for one piece of equipment came back as 460 CFU/SWAB. An external lab was used to determine the results of the swab. My question to you is there an acceptable limit/ standard for ACC count for equipment sanitation effectiveness? I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Aerobic Plate Count in Paste Test for aerobic mesophilic and thermophilic spore count Acceptable spec. for aerobic plate count for environmental swabs? Aerobic germcount Micro data analysis for aerobic plate count and/or Listeria spp.
[Ad]

Hi All!

We recently conducted micro testing on our equipment for sanitation effectiveness.

The results of the ACC count for one piece of equipment came back as 460 CFU/SWAB. 

An external lab was used to determine the results of the swab. 

My question to you is is there an acceptable limit/ standard for ACC count for equipment sanitation effectiveness?

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!

Hi JPFS,

I assume you tested surfaces which may contact food.

afaik no specific internationally agreed lmiits for food contact surfaces exist for APC.

See for example -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ces/#entry60958

I am not aware of any official standards for ACC.  We are a ready-to-eat facility, so we have set our standards pretty tight for food contact surfaces,  <100 cfu/swab.  For zone 2 (near FCS) we use < 2000 cfu/swab, and for zone 3 (floor, walls, etc.) we use < 3000 cfu/swab.  You should set limits for your facility that are reasonable based on your products and equipment materials.

I am not aware of any official standards for ACC.  We are a ready-to-eat facility, so we have set our standards pretty tight for food contact surfaces,  <100 cfu/swab.  For zone 2 (near FCS) we use < 2000 cfu/swab, and for zone 3 (floor, walls, etc.) we use < 3000 cfu/swab.  You should set limits for your facility that are reasonable based on your products and equipment materials.

Hi Fishlady,

Unfortunately "swab" limits are meaningless without reference to the area swabbed.

Same comment applies to the OP.

From a general Sanitation POV, ATP measurements (or related parameters) are possibly of equal value. And faster.

Similar Discussion Topics
Aerobic Plate Count in Paste Test for aerobic mesophilic and thermophilic spore count Acceptable spec. for aerobic plate count for environmental swabs? Aerobic germcount Micro data analysis for aerobic plate count and/or Listeria spp. Limit for aerobic colony count in ready to use marinades USFDA Aerobic Plate Count Specs for RTE foods High Aerobic Plate Count Aerobic Plate Count in Finished Product Shelf life study - aerobic plate count