What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Conducting BRC Internal Audits

Started by , Aug 10 2021 08:28 AM
3 Replies

Morning everyone, I have a potential client (Packhouse) that require me to do their BRC Food Safety Internal Audit which will based on the BRC Food Safety Issue 8 Checklist. They also require me to sign off their audits as per the BRC requirement. Is there any issues if I conduct the Audit I am an FSSC 22000 Audit but have experience of working with BRC standard? How much doe you charge for this service?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Seeking Advice and Resources for Conducting Shelf Life Studies in Seafood Quality Control How are you conducting and reviewing your Food Safety Culture on site? Laboratory requirements for conducting stability studies for food products in-house? Are you still conducting Supplier Audits, if not what else instead? Does anyone have any sample forms for conducting a mock recall?
[Ad]

BRC just says that the internal auditor must be competent, and without conflict of interest. We have the food safety director at another plant using a different standard performing our internal audits without issue.

Hi John,

Thanks for your insight, last question does the auditor require to have completed a BRC Auditor course or is FSSC 22000 and ISO 9001:2015 Lead Auditor course sufficient?

Clause 3.4.2. just states that auditors have to be appropriately trained and competent:

"Internal audits shall be carried out by appropriately trained, competent auditors. Auditors shall be independent (e.g. not audit their own work)."

I have worked for food manufacturers and carried out audits on the strength of internally-delivered training (so no accredited training), and I have carried out internal audits based on externally sourced training which resulted in a kind of certificate of attendance, but no substantial auditing qualification. In both cases, my audits have been accepted as valid at our site's BRCGS audit.

It can be quite a good thing if your internal auditing team leader has a more substantive qualification, but in my experience there are no defined measures for 'appropriately trained and competent' - so if you can demonstrate any training and the completed audits are conducted satisfactorily (i.e. do not suffer deficiencies caused by a lack of competency on the part of the auditor), then that is sufficient for compliance.

Similar Discussion Topics
Seeking Advice and Resources for Conducting Shelf Life Studies in Seafood Quality Control How are you conducting and reviewing your Food Safety Culture on site? Laboratory requirements for conducting stability studies for food products in-house? Are you still conducting Supplier Audits, if not what else instead? Does anyone have any sample forms for conducting a mock recall? Requirements for Conducting a Supplier Audit Need help conducting a HACCP study Conducting VACCP and TACCP studies according to FSSC V 4.1 Conducting training based on Training Needs Assessment Contractor for conducting cooking validation in Ireland?