What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Whirl-pak sterile bags have a powdery, cloudy substance on the inside of the bag?

Started by , Jun 30 2021 04:17 PM
8 Replies

Apologies, micro is not my forte. We've been buying Whirl-Pak bags through a vendor and our last 2 shipments seem to have a powdery, cloudy substance on the inside of the bag. This is before breaking the seal that they swear up and down is aseptic/sterile.

My boss says don't use them, send them back. I've reached out to them to see if they have an answer, if it's a processing aid or something harmless. My question is, have you seen something like this? Do you manufacture plastic film and have seen similar clouding/powdery substance and can explain whether I should/shouldn't be worried? Sorry about the poor picture quality. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Attached Files

1 Like
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
[Ad]

I'm no help other than to say I use them all the time, and have never seen that....

It looks like part of the film has separated. Are they within their shelf life?   

I wouldn't use them either------------my guess is prolonged temperature abuse

It's not listed on the FAQ section of whirl pak's website either

I had a feeling this was not so unusual... Got a response from the company almost immediately. They have a form letter for this.

Thanks for the feedback.

Attached Files

1 Like2 Thanks

Could it be a slip additive used during the manufacturing process?

Well that's good to know.  Hmm...I wonder if the DE could affect any chemical analysis on a sample from those bags.  I never considered this before.  Thank you.

From Simon:  

Could it be a slip additive used during the manufacturing process?

Seen this before and usually an anti-static material that is applied during manufacturing.  You can request the types of anti-static materials used in their process to obtain verification.  Usually the anti-static is used in excess on garbage/trash liners.  

Have you swabbed/tested them to see if there is any micros or RLUs?  Just curious, I've never seen that before but I've usually dealt with the smaller sizes - the picture you posted is larger than the Whirl Paks I have experience with.

I suggest to ask them also a gluten free declaration //This is the reason AIB has already claimed this looong time ago as part of the allergen management plan

best regards,

Leila

Similar Discussion Topics